Sociology Optional Previous Years Papers – 2002
1. Write short notes on any three of the following (each note should not exceed 200
(a) Sociology as a Science
(b) Theory and Fact
(c) Social mobility and social change
(d) Social movement and social change
2. Examine the nature of social facts as understood by Durkheim.
3. Critically examine Weber‟s theory of Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism.
4. Distinguish between Sex and Gender. Discuss the gender issues with suitable examples.
5. Write short notes on nay THREE of the following (Each note should not exceed 200 words):
(a) Industrialisation and social change
(b) Community power
(c) The sacred and the profane
(d) Ethos of science
6. What are the uses of Bogardus‟ social distance scale and of Likert scale? Discuss.
7. In what way is the process of socialisation helpful in the development of personality? Explain with suitable examples.
8. Explain Melvin Tumin‟s critique related to the theory of social stratification.
1. Write notes on any THREE of the following (in not more than 200 words each):
(a) Emergence of Dalit Consciousness
(b) Integration of Tribes in Hindu Culture
(c) Characteristics of Neo-Rich agrarian class.
(d) Reservation and Panchayat Raj institutions.
2. Discuss the metaphysical and ethical basis of Hindu social organisation.
3. Discuss the Louis Dumont‟s concept of purity and pollution. How far these concepts are relevant in explaining the Hindu caste system?
4. Examine the ways in which Indian society can be strengthened as multi-cultural society. Is the dominance of single culture is a hinderance to multiculturalism in India?
5. Write notes on any THREE of the following (in not more than 200 words each):
(a) Inequality among Brahmins.
(b) Problems of Hindu minority in Kashmir.
(c) Nature of atrocities on married women.
(d) Problems of child labour in India.
6. Is Secularism a weak ideology? Critically analyse the reasons for anti-secular trends in India.
7. Examine the impact of mass media on Indian society. Whether western consumerism and materialistic culture, creeping in through mass media, are adversely affecting the traditional Indian culture?
8. Analyse the ideological and strategical features of Naxalbari movement.
Posted from WordPress for Android