BPSC MAIN EXAMINATION
47th C. C. EXAM. 2007
Labour and Social Welfare, Paper – 1
Time Allowed: 3 Hours Max. Marks: 200
Answer Any Five Questions
1. Briefly describe the main principles of labour legislation.
2. Trace the historical development of labour legislations in India with special reference to the provisions of constitution of India.
3. Describe the provisions relating to health and welfare under th Factories Act, 1948.
4. Child Labour in India could not be prohibited and regulated despite the existence of the Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Act, 1986 because of the lack of strong and sincere political will. Elucidate.
5. Describe the mode of payment of wages and the permissible deductions from the wages under the Payment of Wages Act, 1938.
6. Briefly discuss the various benefits available to the employees under the Employees State Insurance Act, 1948.
7. Give the brief introduction of Maternity Benefit Act, 1961. To which establishments, it is applied? Whether it can be applied to those establishments which come under the coverage of the Employees’ State Insurance Act, 1948? Is there any exception of it also?
8. What is a ‘Workman’? What protection has been made available to workmen under the Workmen’s Compensation Act, 1923?
9. Throw light on the salient features of labour administration in Bihar. What improvement would you suggest in order to strengthen the labour administration machinery in the state.
10. Write short notes on any two of the following:
(a) Role of International Labour Organization and the development of Indian Labour Legislation.
(b) Concept of wages under the Minimu Wages Act, 1948
(c) Type of Labour Legislation in India
(d) Labour court in Bihar