GS Mains IAS Previous Years Question Paper 1 – 2006
1. Answer any one of the following ( in about 250 words): 30
(a) Regardless of distance in time, there were lots of similarties between Lord Curzon and Jawaharlal Lal Nehru. Discuss.
(b) How did the Government of India Act, 1935 mark a point of no return in the history of constitutional development in India?
2. Answer any two of the following (in about 150 words): 2×15=30
(a) What was the attitude of Indian Industrialists towards the Indian National Congress in the Pre-independent era?
(b) Critically assess Sir Tej Bahadur Sapru’s view on Indian Nationalism.
(c) Characterise the main features of Indian Renaissance.
3. Write about the following (not exceeding 20 words each): 15×2=30
(f) Madhura Vijayam
(g) Pandurang Mahatmya
(h) Prithviraj Raso
(i) “The Insider”
(j) Ali Sardar Jafri
(k) Aruna Roy
(l) Dr. J.C.Daniel
(m) Balwant Gargi
(n) Dr. Jayant Narlikar
(o) Shashi Tharror
4. Answer any two of the following (in about 125 words): 2×10=20
(a) Bring out the prospects of development of alternative energy sources of India.
(b) Blue Revolution has definite advantages in India but it is not free from environmental impacts. Discuss.
(c) Why do the rivers of west coast not from a delta?
5. Write notes on the following ( in about 20 words each): 5×2=10
(a) Mixed economy
(b) Winter rains in India
(c) New Moore Island
(d) National Water Grid
(e) Hussain Sagar
6. Answer any one of the following (in about 250 words): 30
(a) What is right to life and personal liberty? How have the courts expanded its meaning in recent years?
(b) On What grounds can a member be disqualified from either House of Parliament?
7. Answer any one of the following questions (in about 250 words) : 30
(a) What is the ‘strategic partnership’ between India and United States of America ? What are its implications for both the partners?
(b) Discuss economic backwardness as a major challenge of Indian democracy. Can Democracy and development go together smoothly?
8. Answer any two of the following question (in about 150 words): 2×15=30
(a) How would you differentiate between the passage of a Constitution Amendment Bill and of an Ordinary Legislative Bill?
(b) How does the Inter- State Council establish co-ordination between States?
(c) Is the High Courts’ power to issue ‘writs’ wider than that of the Supreme Court of India?
9. Answer the following question (in about 20 words each): 5×2=10
(a) Explain the following terms:
(i) Dissolution of the House
(ii) Prorogation of the House
(iii) Adjournment of the business of the House
(b) What is Consolidated Fund of India?
(c) To What extent can the President withhold his assent to a Bill already passed by the Parliament?
(d) What is India’s ‘Look East’ Policy ?
(e) What is meant by ‘ empowerment of women’ in India ?
10. Answer any one of the following questions (in about 250 words): 30
(a) What are the social and economic consequences of abolishing child labour in India ?
(b) Explain the implications of the implementation of Intellectual Property Clauses in our patent law regime after joining the WTO.
11. Answer any two of the following question (in about 125 words each): 2×10=20
(a) Explain full convertibility of Indian Rupee.
(b) What are the linkages to be developed under the Knowledge Revolution for Rural India Plan?
(c) What do we understand by ‘Doha Round’ of talks?
12. Answer any two of the following question ( in about 125 words each): 2×10=20
(a) Explain the social constraints in bringing about gender equality in Indian society.
(b) What are the problems related to the rehabilitation of the mentally challenged persons in India?
(c) Bring out the issues involved in implementing compulsory primary education in India.
13. Write about the following (in words 20 words each):
(a) Business Process Outsourcing
(b) Female foeticide
(e) S. Chandrashekhar