Sociology Optional Previous Years Papers – 2009
SECTION – A
1. Write short notes on any three of the following (each note should not exceed 200 words ) 20×3=60
a) Problems of objectivity in sociological research.
b) Subject-matter of Sociology, according to Emile Durkheim.
c) Comparison between Sociology and Economics
d) Talcott Parson‟s idea of „ moving equilibrium‟
2. a). Distinguish between probability and non probability sampling methods. How many types of sampling design are there? 30
b). Comment on the responses of the functionalist school to Karl‟s Marx‟s views on social change. 30
3. a). Comment on the reasons why neo-idealists and symbolic integrationists are critical of „ positivism‟ in Sociology. 30
b). What are the reasons for calling Kingsley Davis and Wilbert Moore‟s theory of social stratification
a functional theory ? 30
4. To Robert Merton , deviant behavior is a result of anamic . Analysis his sociological theory of deviant behavior , with a special reference to his formulation of types of deviance. 60
SECTION – B
5. Write short notes on any three of the following (each note should not exceed 200 words ) 20×3=60
a) C. W. Mills‟ Power Elite
b) Industrialization and Changes in the Family‟s Functions.
c) Secularization of societies in the modern world.
d) Structure of social movement.
6. a). Comments on the critics charge that Immanuel Wallerstein‟s dependency theory is simplistic and wrong.30
b). What , according to Max Weber , is the role of “ Particular religion ideas” in the emergence of modern capitalism ? 30
7. “Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind” Comment on this statement critically in the light of emerging sociological context in Europe, USA and India. 60
8. Discuss the emerging forms of marriage and family with examples from the West and The East . Can there be family without marriage ? Examine. 60
SECTION – A
1. Write short notes on any three of the following in not more than 200 words each in sociological perspectives 20×3=60
a) Ideological perspective of G.S. Ghurye
b) Emergence of middle class in India
c) Dynamics of Dalit Movements
d) Colonial hangover and its social impact
2. a). What has been the impact of globalization on the cultural aspect(s) of the family ? 30
b). Comment on the changes in the household dimensions of family under modern economic reforms.30
3. What are the main principles of the structural functional perspective ? Comment on the suitability of applying this perspective to the study of Indian Society. 60
4. Comment in about 300 words each on the followings 30×2=60
a). Changes that the agrarian social structure in India is under going.
b). Can religion form a sufficient basis of forming cultural identity in India ?
SECTION – B
5. Write short notes on any three of the following in not more than 200 words each in sociological perspectives 20×3=60
a) Law and social change
b) New rural elite and leadership
c) Fertility and population growth
d) Possibilities of slum reform
6. Comment in about 300 words each on the followings 30×2=60
a). Comment on the influence of social and cultural factors on family planning in India.
b). Evaluate the success of Indian peasant movements in achieving their goals.
7. a). In the Context of the Caste System , Critically examine Louis Dumont‟s concept of purity and pollution. 30
b). Comment on the sociological impact of globalization on people working in the informal sector. 30
8. Do you think that poverty, deprivation and inequalities are the major challenges in the process of social transformations? What are your suggestions to address and resolve these Problems? 60
Posted from WordPress for Android