GS Mains IAS Previous Years Question Paper 1 – 2004
1. Answer any one of the following (in about 250 words): 30
(a) Discuss the major regulations enacted by the British rulers to curb the freedom of Press in India.
(b) Form a critical assessment of the Non-cooperation Movement.
2. Answer any two of the following (in about 150 words each) : 2×15 = 30
(a) What led to the partition of Bengal in 1905?
(b) Write a note on the Theosophical Society.
(c) Discuss the main findings of the Hartog committee (1929).
3. Write about the following (not exceeding 20 words each): 15×2 = 30
(i) Upanishads (ii) Vajrayana
(iii) Kumarsambhav (iv) Razmnama
(v) Mirza Haidar (vi) Muhammad Barkatullah
(vii) Sohan Singh Bhakna (viii) Alluri Sitaramaraju
(ix) Canjeevaram Natrajan Annadurai (x) Jadong
(xi) Jadunath Sarkar (xii) Nazir Hasan
(xiii) Subhash Gupte (xiv) Acharya Nirmalya
(xv) Jyotirao Phule
4. Answer any two of the following (in about 125 words each): 2×10 = 20
(a) Examine the distribution of oil refineries in India.
(b) Why are the Aravallis called a divide between Mewar and Marwar?
(c) What is Golden Quadrilateral ? How will it help in the economic development of the country?
5. Write short notes on the following (in about 20 words each): 5×2 = 10
(a) El Nino, La Nina and Monsoon rains
(b) The Sambhar lake
(c) The Sundarbans
(d) Bombay High
(e) Sabarkantha & Banaskantha
6. Answer any one of the following (in about 250 words): 30
(a) What is the significance of a preamble to a constitution? Bring out the philosophy of the Indian polity as enshrined in the preamble of the Indian Constitution.
(b) Discuss the meaning of ”breakdown of constitutional machinery”. What are its effects.
7. Answer any one of the following (in about 250 words): 30
(a) Discuss how the Constitution of India provides equal rights.
(b) How does the Indian Constitution Seek to maintain independence of the Public Service Commission?
8. Answer any two of the following (in about 150 words each): 2×15=30
(a) Define money-bill.Discuss how it is passed in the Parliament.
(b) What is a Finance Commission? Discuss the main functions of the State Finance Commission.
(c) Discuss how State government can exercise control over panchayats.
9. Answer the following (in about 20 words each): 5×2=10
(a) What is Habeas Corpus?
(b) What are the constitutional restrictions imposed upon the power of borrowing of the State govenments?
(c) What is the special facility provided to the linguistic minoroties under Article 350A?
(d) How can a judge of the Supreme Court be removed ?
(e) How is the Election Commision of India Constituted?
10. Write on any one of the following (in about 150 words each): 30
(a) the Inter-State river water dispute has once again assumed centre-stage after the Pujab Assembly’s Bill terminating all previous accord on river waters. Discuss.
(b) What is PURA? Discuss the major objectives.
11. Write on any two of the following (in about 125 words each): 2×10=20
(a) Explain UNDP Report on human Development in India.
(b) What is WTO? What are India’s objections to its overall functioning?
(c) Discuss the utility of e-governance in the Indian context.
12. Write notes on any two of the following (in about 125 words each): 2×10=20
(a) Housing for all by 2010 is the goal set by the National Habitate Ploicy. How far is it achievable?
(b) ”Is greater spending on education linked to higher literacy?” Discuss.
(c) What is Enterprise Resourse Planning?
13. Write about the following (in about 20 words each): 5×2=10
(a) ISRO (b) Central Vigilance Commission
(c) NDDB (d) Hiren Mukherjee
(e) Pareechu Lake