GS Mains IAS Previous Years Question Paper 2 – 1994
1. (a) “In India though the Governor is the constitutional head of a state just as the President of the country , the former may be enjoying more powers than the latter.” Do you agree? Give reasons. (About 250 words) 40
(b) Explain the role of the Planning Commission and the National Development Council in the formulation of public policy in India. (About 250 words)
2. (a) Differentiate between indicative and target planning where should the Eigth Five year Plan be placed? (about 250 words) 40
(b) It is being suggested that the coomercial banks in India should reduce their holdings of non-performing assets. Does it mean that the former should abandon social priorities? (About 250 wprds) 40
(b) What are the diseases caused by Iodine Deficiency? What steps are being taken to tackle problem in India? (About 250 words)
4. Answer any two of the following (Answer to each question should be in about 150 words): 20+20
(a) Explain the significance of the April 1994 Supreme Court judgement on the proclamation of President’s rule.
(b) Describe the emergence of Basic Structure concept in the Indian Constitution.
(c) What are the major recommendations of the Swaminathan Committee’s Draft National population Policy relating to gender issues?
(d) Explain the position of the Election Commission with regard to the residential qualification of the members of the Council of States. What do you think about it?
5. Answer any two of the following (Answer to each question should be in about 150 words): 20+20
(a) What was the rational of the Mahalanobis Strategy of economic growth?
(b) Indiacate briefly the tax reforms that have been introduced in India after the coming in of the New Economic Policy.
(c) Discuss the desirability of removing all control in India on the import and export of agricultural commodities.
(d) What is innovation? What kind of economic compulsions in a country like India, you think, could really stimulate innovations?
6. Answer any two of the following (Answer to each question should be in about 150 words): 15+15
(a) Why are the solis of Malwa in Madhya Pradesh black while those of karnataka red? Discuss the relative fertility of these soils.
(b) Which part of India receives more rainfall from the north-east monsoon than from the south-west monsoon? Explain why it is so?
(c) What is “exclusive economic zone” of a country. Discuss its relevance to India.
(d) What is dryland agriculture? Discuss its importance to India.
7. Answer any two of the following (Answer to each question should be in about 150 words): 20+20
(a) Describe briefly the different phases of India’s nuclear energy programme.
(b) What are high-temperature superconductors? Describe their important applications.
(c) Describe the salient features of Project Tiger. How far has it helped in saving the tiger from extinction?
(d) What is DNA fingerprinting? Which research institution in India is working in this area?
8. Answer four questions from Group A, three from Group B and three from Group C (Answer to each question should be in about 25 words): 30
(a) What is meant by equity in taxation?
(b) Make a case for strengthening the social sector in India.
(c) Can excessive economic backwardness it self be a cause of excess population?
(d) Why should fiscal deficit in India be rising again?
(e) Name the mineral which is mined at each of the following places:
(f) What is ‘El Nino’?
(a) Differentiate between the ‘due process of law’ and ‘the procedure established by law’ in the context of deprivation of personal liberty in India.
(b) Explain the meaning of ex-post-facto legislation.
(c) What is section 309 IPC about? Why was it in the news recently?
(d) What is our country’s highest civilian award? Who are the two foreigners on whom the award was conferred?
(e) Indicate the provisions of Indian Constitution relating to Secularism.
(f) Four more languages were added to the 8th Scheduled of the Constitution through two amedments. Give the names of these four languages as also the serial number of amendments.
(a) What are encilities?
(b) What is Talsur?
(c) What is Piezoelectricity?
(d) What do the following stand for?
(e) What is ‘Shoemaker-Levy 9’? Why was it in the news recently?
(f) What is a gene? Where is it found?