GS Mains IAS Previous Years Question Paper 2 – 1995
1. (a) Distinguish between Parliamentary and Presidential forma of Government. Do you think that changing over to Presidential form will be a solution for better governance? Substantiate your answer. (About 250 words) 40
(b) What is the position of the Supreme Court under the Constitution of India? Discuss its role as a guardian of the Constitution. (About 250 words)
2. (a) In what ways do land reforms help agricultural growth? Briefly state the aim of land reforms as envisaged in the Eigth Five Year Plan. (About 250 words) 40
(b) Do you agree with the view that, in a country like India, a tax? Argue the case in the light of Raja Chelliah Tax Reform Committee Report. (About 250 words) 40
3. (a) What is ‘greenhouse effect’? What are its adverse effects on the Earth’s enviornment? What steps are being taken to check the same? (About 250 words) 40
(b) What is AIDS? Describe its salient features. (About 250 words)
4. Answer any two of the following (Answer to each question should be in about 150 words): 20+20
(a) Explain the functions of the Estimates Committee.
(b) Describe the non-federal features of the Council of States.
(c) What are the constitutional rights of the citizens of India? What do you think about the demand of the NRI’s for dual citizenship?
(d) Describe the salient features of Anti-Defection Law.
5. Answer any two of the following (Answer to each question should be in about 150 words): 20+20
(a) Does reduction in fiscal deficit necessarily assure reduction in inflation?
(b) What policy has the Government of India adopted in recent years to protect our environment, control pollution and maintain ecological balance? State briefly.
(c) Do you think that income tax reduces economic incentives? Give your reasons.
(d) What has been the rationale for deregulating commercial bank’s lending rates as a policy stategy?
6. Answer any two of the following (Answer to each question should be in about 150 words): 20+20
(a) What do you understand by Deccan Trap? Describe its characteristics.
(b) Why have the rivers of the peninsular India well-defined rigid channels in sharp contrast to the Himalyan rivers?
(c) What is ‘intensity of rainfall’? Discuss its importance to Indian farmers.
(d) What is drip irrigation? Why is it considered the most efficient method of irrigation?
7. Answer any two of the following (Answer to each question should be in about 150 words): 20+20
(a) What is lead-free petrol? What are its merits and demerits?
(b) What is PSLV? Describe its significance for India’s space programme.
(c) What do you understand by ‘Karnal Technology’? What is it used for?
(d) What is ‘amniocentesis’? What has made it a controversial technique?
8. Answer four questions from Group A, three from Group B and three from Group C (Answer to each question should be in about 25 words): 30
(a) What are fringe benefits?
(b) What is Goup of 77?
(c) Which sector of the economy is the informal sector?
(d) What is Call Money?
(e) Why do the Western Ghats receive more rainfall than the Eastern Ghats?
(f) Name the industry which is located at each of the following places:
(a) Define Financial Emergency. How many times has this been proclaimed so far?
(b) What is the present status of the right to property as a Fundamental Right?
(c) Why is Article 32 considered as the cornerstone of the Constitution?
(d) What is a bicameral legislature? Mention the states that have a bicameral legislature in our country.
(e) Explain the scope of Article 331.
(f) Explain the Status of the Ministers known as ‘Ministers of State’.
(a) What is ELISA? What is it used for?
(b) What are VSATs? What are they used for?
(c) What isd pacemeker? How does it work?
(d) What do the following stand for:
(e) What is EL Nino? what is its relevance to India?
(f) What is bioremediation?