GS Mains IAS Previous Years Question Paper 2 – 2005
1. Answer any two of the following (answer to each question should be in about 150 words) : 2×15 = 30
(a) Present a complete picture of India’s effort for a permanent seat in the UN security Council.
(b) Explain the political and economic implications of the Indo-Iran gas pipeline.
(c) Examine the developments in Afghanistan in the post-Taliban period.
2. Write about the following (answer to each question should be in about 20 words) : 5×2 = 10
(a) Indians in China
(c) Military rule in Myanmar
(d) Camp David Accord of 1978
(e) Future of Indian expatriates in the gulf
3. Write about the following (answer to each question should be in about 20 words) : 5×2 = 10
(a) Full convertibility
(b) Physical Quality life Index
(c) Differences between absolute poverty and relative poverty
(d) India-US nuclear pact
(e) Medical tourism
4. Answer any one of the following (in about 250 words) : 30
(a) Discuss the causes and ramifications of hunger in Africa.
(b) What are the reasons for industrial sickness in India? Suggest suitable remedies.
5. Answer any two of the following (answer to each question should be in about 150 words) : 2×15 = 30
(a) What is the role of external financial assistance in Indian economy?
(b) Enumerate the objectives of Latin American Reserve Fund Do you favour such a fund for Asian countries?
(c) Examine the functions of the European Free Trade Association.
6. Answer or write about the following (in about 20 words each) : 2×15 = 30
(a) What is Mekong-Ganga Co-operation?
(b) What is IFC?
(c) Crude oil price and Indian economy
(d) What is Gandhian economy?
(e) Second Green Revolution
(f) Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya Yojana
(g) What is Euro-control?
(h) Dow Jones
(j) MFN status to India by Pakistan
(k) The notion of development of under-development
(l) Cost-push inflation
(m) What is Green GDP?
(n) What were the terms of reference of the Abid Hussain Committee?
(o) What is structural unemployment?
7. Answer any two of the following (answer to each question should be in about 150 words) : 2×15 = 30
(a) Detail the salient features of project ‘Anthareeksha’
(b) Will a grand axis of India, China and Russia challenge the unipolar supremacy of the US? Elaborate your views.
(c) Explain the China-US textile war
8. Answer or write about the following (answer to each question should be in about 20 words) : 5×2 = 10
(a) What is Gender Empowerment Measure (GEM)?
(b) What is the concept of copyleft ?
(c) What is a rogue state?
(d) Repo market
(e) What is banana war?
9. Answer the following, by expanding or explaining (answer to each question should be in about 20 words):10
10. Answer any one of the following in about 250 words: 30
(a) Describe the sources of ionizing and non-ionizing radiations and their effects on the biotic components of the atmosphere.
(b) What is digital convergence? Examine its implications for modern society.
11. Answer any two of the following (answer to each question should be in about 150 words each): 2×15=30
(a) Why do environmentalists regard asbestos and polythene as pollutants?
(b) What is the therapeutic cloning? Describe briefly the method and its potential applications.
(c) Why is hydrogen being acclaimed as the fuel of the future?
12. Answer the following (in about 20 words each): 5×2 = 10
(a) What is an exabyte?
(b) What is VIRUS?
(c) What do the following stand for?
(d) What is avatar?
(e) What is Wikipedia?
13. (a) Put the following information into a frequency distribution table, assuming the range of monthly wage is from Rs. 300 to Rs. 4500, and draw a histogram on a graph paper:’
“10%, 30%, 60%, 80% and 90% of a group of monthly wage earners receive less than Rs. 600, Rs. 1000, Rs. 1800, Rs. 2800 and Rs. 3300 respectively and 5% receive Rs. 3600 and above.”
(b) The marks obtained by 32 students of 12th class of a Government school are:
628, 665, 560, 328, 421, 525,
480, 470, 405, 424, 664, 668, 620,
300, 305, 520, 420, 370, 326, 440,
328, 480, 565, 650, 480, 360, 325,
450, 360, 426, 440, 306
Form a Cumulative Frequency Table with class interval of 50. 8
14. (a) Represent the following data by a histogram: 8
|Daily Earnings (Rs.)||No. of Stores|
(b.) Construct a cumulative distribution table from the following frequency distribution and find the number of students obtaining below 15 marks: 8
15. (a) A train travels first 300 kilometers at an average speed of 30 kmph and further travels the same distance at an average speed of 40 kmph. What is the average speed over the whole distance? 2
(b) The arithmetic mean of 12 observations was computed to be 6. Afterwards, it was found that one of the figures was wrong. Instead of 7 (seven, which is the correct figure) it was read as 1 (one, the wrong figure). Find the correct value of the arithmetic mean after incorporating this information. 2
(c) A firm of readymade garments makes both men’s and women’s shirts. Its average profit is 6% of sales. Its profit in men’s shirts average 8% of sales and women’s shirts comprise 60% of output. What is the average profit per sales rupee in women’s shirt’s? 2
(d) The mean and variance of two seta of data are given below with the data size: 2
What can you say about the mean and variance of the combined set of observations as compared to the individual means and variances without performing any calculation? 2