GS Mains Previous Years Question Paper 2 – 1987
1. (a) Briefly mention why and how the Chapter on Directive Priciples gained precedence over the Chapter on Fundamental Rights in The Indian Constitution. (About 250 words) 40
(b) Identify the nature and methods of parliamentary control over the Executive in Indian polity.(About 250 words)
2. (a) Examine the particular reference to its objectives and constraints. Suggest a set of measures towards an improvement in the present in the present systems. (About 250 words) 40
(c) Account for the growing incidence of industrial sickness in India. Would you advocate “ Privatisation” of these sick units? Give reasons for your answer. (About 250 words)
3. (a) Scarcity of safe drinking water is an acute problem in a large number of villages in India. Point out the factors which make even the available water unfit for drinking by the rural Population. What steps would you recommend to make such water potable? (About 250 words) 40
(b) Expert opinion is sharply divided regarding the advisability or otherwise of building nuclear power plants in India.Sunnarize the chief arguments on either side and suggest what according to you would be a wiser policy. (About 250 words)
4. Answer any two of the following (Answer to each question should be in about 150 words): 20+20
(a) What are the main features of the Anti-defection legislation of 1985?
(b) To What extent does the President of India possess discretionary powers? If any, what are they?
(c) Discuss the importance of Article 32 of the Indian constitution.
(d) ‘There are political personalities but no political parties in India.’ Comment.
5. Answer any two of the following (Answer to each question should be in about 150 words): 20+20
(a) Comment on the employment strategy as envisaged in our Seventh Five Year Plan.
(b) Give an account of the mechanism employed in India to transfer financial resources from the Centre to the States.
(c) Distinguish clearly between ‘Joint Venture’ and ‘Foregin Collaboration.’ Use appropriate examples to illustrate from India’s recent experience.
(d) Observe the following data and analyse the underlying trend in India’s export performance:
|India’s Export Ratio|
|India’s export as a percentage of|
|India’s National Income|
6. Answer any two of the following (Answer to each question should be in about 150 words): 15+15
(a) Despite the fact that half of India lies outside the Tropic of Cancer, India is called a tropical country. Why is it so?
(b) What is the Exclusive Economic Zone of India? Why has it been constituted?
(c) What is the need for Coal Conservation? What are the major components of India’s Coal Conversation Policy?
(d) What do you understand by Ecological Balance? Why is this balance necessary? What is being done in India today to maintain this balance?
7. Answer any two of the following (Answer to each question should be in about 150 words: 15+15
(a) “ Some of the modern agricultural practices being used at present in India are leading to undesirable consequences.” Do you agree with this view?
(b) Comment on the state of computer technology in India today. In this context, point out the possible uses to which super-computers could be put.
(c) It is believed that the use of fibre optics will revolutionize the telecommunication technology. What progress has been made in India in this field?
(d) What is “immunization”? Mention the steps being taken to immunize the rural population against common diseases to which they are generally prove.
8. Answer four question from Group A, three from Group B and three from Group C (Answer to each question should be given in 2 or 3 sentence): 30
(a) What is Zero-base budgeting?
(b) What are the likely advantages of the recent Government policy of Broad-banding?
(c) Despite an increase in the pay-packet, the purchasing power of the people has not really gone up. How can this happen?
(d) The Economic offenders often thrive in a parallel economy. Is it true or false? Explain your view.
(e) What are the limitations of mechanized farming in the Indian context?
(f) Recall three specific incentives given our government to attract industries to the backwards areas. Name two such areas and their location.
(a) Define the write of Certiorari.
(b) What do you understand by ‘positive discrimination’?
(c) Why is the Indian Constitution called quasi-federal ?
(d) Under what circumstances, can the financial Emergency be imposed in India?
(e) State the functions of the Commissioner for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes.
(f) How are chief Justices of high courts in India appointed?
(a) What is “under-water archeology’? What important findings have been made in Indian coastal waters recently?
(b) What is eutrophication ? What are its effects ?
(c) Maharaja Swai Jai Singh II of Jaipur has built five observations for astronomical observation. Two of these are situated at delhi and Jaipur. Where are the other three located ?
(d) What is “ lathyrism” ? How is it caused ? What steps are taken to protect the rural population from this preventable disease ?
(e) What is “ Science City.”
(f) Recentaly oil and gas have been discovered at a number of places in the Godavari-Krishna delta region. Name three locations where these deposits are found.