Sociology Optional Previous Years Papers – 1985
SOCIOLOGY PAPER I-1985
1. Write short notes on any three of the following (each answer should not exceed 200 words):
(a) Sociology is a science of society.
(b) Research Design.
(c) Interview as a method of social research.
(d) Religion and society.
2. Discuss the contributions of Durkheim to sociology. How far did his methodology influence sociological traditions?
3. How does culture influence personality? Can personality influence culture? How?
4. What are the agencies of social control? Which is the most effective one in a democratic society?
5. Write short notes on any three of the following (each answer should not exceed 200 words):
(a) Planned development in a democracy.
(c) Social Mobility.
(d) Youth Culture.
6. Has development been successful in removing poverty? Can you relate development to progress?
7. Can education be considered as an agent of social change? In what manner can it establish a new social order?
8. How is Marxism relevant to developing nations? Will it be able to establish classless societies?
SOCIOLOGY PAPER II-1985
1. Write short notes on any three of the following is not more than 200 words each:
(a) Divorce among the Muslims.
(b) Protective discrimination: its sociology and politics.
(c) Kula, Vansa and Gotra.
(d) Inequality in the agrarian social structure.
2. Comment on the distinction between „hierarchy‟ and „social stratification‟. Which of the two will be a more appropriate term to describe the caste system and why?
3. Discuss the process of social mobility in the caste system commonly described as sanskritization and westernization. Have they eflected any structural change in the system?
4. Examine the impact of recent social legislation on Hindu marriage and family with special reference to the status of women.
5. Write short notes on any three of the following in not more than 200 words each:
(a) Education for social equality.
(b) Planning for the rural poor: IRDP and NREP.
(c) Religious and ethlnic conflict in India.
(d) Servodava as a social movement.
6. What is the link between industrialisation and urbanisation? Answer with reference to India.
7. Discuss the salient features of the demographic situation in India. What are the prospects of reducing the birth rate and stabilizing it in the near feature?
8. How far is generational disaffiliation responsible for youth activism in India? Why is the Indian youth failing to respond to the national challenges?
Posted from WordPress for Android