Sociology Optional Previous Years Papers – 1986
SOCIOLOGY PAPER I-1986
1. Write short notes on any three of the following (each answer should not exceed 200 words):
(a) The problem of objectivity in Sociology.
(b) Techniques employed in measuring attitudes.
(c) Bureaucracy in developing societies
(d) New strategies for the rural development in India.
2. Discuss Durkheim‟s concept of Division of labour. In what way does it differ from that of classical and neoclassical economists? 3. Show how culture constituted a seminal idea in B. Malinowski‟s works.
4. What is „social action‟? what is its place in the analytical Frameworks of Max Weber and Talcott Parsons?
5. Write short notes on any three of the following (each answer should not exceed 200 words):
(a) Ethnic group and its role in society.
(b) Historical materialism.
6. Critically assess R.K. Mertion‟s views on the contributions of research to the development of sociological theory.
7. How do you relate the educational system to the economic development in India?
8. Discuss the role of religion to the world today. Has the supergrowth of science any de mystifying effect on religion?
SOCIOLOGY PAPER II- 1986
1. Write notes on any three of the following in not more than 200 words each:
(a) The case for a uniform civil code.
(b) The Indian family in continuity and change.
(c) Class-conflict in the agrarian society
(d) The Indian intellectual between tradition and modernity.
2. Examine the impact of Buddhism aud Islam on the Hindu society.
3. „Despite all the fusion and fusion that the caste system has undergone through the ages. It has binded to maintain the permanency of its form‟. Comment.
4. Discuss the changing value-orientations of women in the Indian middle class families.
5. Write notes on any three of the following in not more than 200 words each:
(a) Education for development: the sociological implications of the new education policy.
(b) Communal tensions: their economic and social background.
(c) Urban emerging pattern of rural leadership.
(d) Urban decay: the culture of overcrowded neigh-bourhoods and slums in industrial cities. 6. Trace the impact of culture contact on the Indian tribes.
7. Discuss the factors responsible for the growing felling of alienation among the religious minorities in India. How can they be made to overcome this feeling?
8. Stress the importance of regional development in the context of national planning in India. Can regional disparities be reduced within the framework of a centralist planning?
Posted from WordPress for Android