Sociology Optional Previous Years Papers – 1988
1. Write short notes on any three of the following (Each answer should not exceed 200 words):
(a) Experimental design.
(b) Bearing of research on theory.
(c) Functional theory of stratification.
(d) Structural principles of kinship.
2. Explain the basic premises of the anti-positivist attack on sociology. Do you agree with these? Substantiate your answer.
3. Discuss the relation between social structure and anomie as presented by R.K. Merton. Attempt a critical appraisal of this analysis.
4. In what respects do you think Weber‟s conception of sociology differs from that of Durkheim? Which one of the two is more satisfactory? Substantiate your answer.
5. Write short notes on any three of the following (Each answer should not exceed 200 words):
(a) Achievement orientation.
(b) Theory of underdevelopment.
(c) Formal organization.
(d) Types of social ……ements.
6. Attempt a comparative analysis of the Weberian and Marxian theories of social change. Which do you think is more relevant to the Indian society at present? Give reasous for your answer.
7. Examine the role of education is cultural continuity. In the context of the Indian society, how would you reconcile this with the demands for social change?
8. What do you understand by community power structure? discuss the major changes in recent times in the pattern of the distribution of power in Indian society.
PAPER II- 1988
1. Write notes on any three of the following in not more than 200 words each:
(a) Regional Variation in Kinship System.
(b) Intergenerational Gap
(c) Industrialization and caste.
(d) Linguistic Conflicts
2. Examine the historical roots of Indian society and identify the factors of continuity and change in it.
3. The organic solidarity of caste has given way to competitive solidarity. Discuss this statement in the context of the processes of fission and fusion in the Caste system.
4. Analyse the traditional production relations in Indian villages in the framework of the jajmani system. Account for tis disappearance in recent tines.
5. Write notes on any three of the following in not more than 200 words each:
(a) Grass root Planning.
(b) Demoncratic Decentralization.
(c) Intergrated Rurol Development Programme.
6. Discuss the role of the state in restructuring Indian Society since Independence. Examine the effectiveness of such interventions.
7. Analyse the limitations of working a democratic political system in a traditional society.
8. Distinguish between Westernization and Modernization. How do tradition and modernity co-exist in India?
Posted from WordPress for Android