Sociology Optional Previous Years Papers – 1991
SOCIOLOGY-1991 PAPER I
1. Write short notes on any three of the following (each answer should not exceed 200 words):
(a) The problem of objectivity
(b) Social control
(c) Protestant Ethic
2. “Why does the individual, while becoming more autonomous, depend more upon society? (Durkheim). How has the author tried to answer this question?
3. How does Parsons defend the nuclear family in promoting industrialisation? Is his thesis universally valid?
4. “The history of the hitherto existing societies is the history of class struggle.‟ Critically comment on this Marxian thesis.
5. Write note on any three of the following (each answer should not exceed 200 words):
a) Methods of scientific investigation
(b) Functional theory of stratification
(c) Intergenerational mobility
(d) The sacred and the profane.
6. What is the importance of Merton‟s Middle Range Theory in sociology? Discuss critically.
7. What role can the power of unorganized masses play in bringing about social change in a democratic society?
8. „Education is induction into the Learner‟s culture‟. Examine the statement in society today.
PAPER II- 1991
1. Write notes on any three of the following in not more than 200 words each:
(a) Ritual purity and pollution in Hindu Society
(b) Social responsibility of political elites
(d) Plural society and secularism
2. “Family jointness still continues unaffected by the differences of religion, caste, urbanization and occupation.‟ Elucidate.
3. Privatization of economy can often result in growing social inequalities explotation and corruption. How far are these fears justified in the Indian context?
4. Discuss the changes in the structure of power relationships of various castes at the regional levels.
5. Write notes on any three of the following in not more than 200 words each:
(a) The share-croppers‟ movement in India
(b) The demographic transition
(c) TRYSEM- as a measure for rural development
(d) Common civil Code and status of women
6. “Institutionalised inequality in India has its cultural and economic coordinates.‟ Discuss.
7. Is legitimacy of key political institutions declining in India? Discuss this issue in the context of the process of nation-building.
8. „Uneven development is the major source of tribal unrest in India.‟ Examine the statement in relation to the movements in tribal India.
Posted from WordPress for Android