Sociology Optional Previous Years Papers – 1987
SOCIOLOGY PAPER I- 1987
1. Write short notes on any three of the following (each answer should not exceed 200 words):
(a) Techniques of Data Collection
(b) Ideal Types
(c) Social Movement
2. Do you agree with Max Weber that the Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism are correlated? What are the alternative theories suggested by other academics?
3. A.R. Radcliffe-Brown is said to have improved upon B. Malinowski‟s Functional theory. Discuss, how.
4. Do you think that in T. Parsons there has been a transition from the analysis of the structure of social action as such to the structural-functional analysis of social systems”? discuss in detail.
5. Write short notes on any three of the following (each answer should not exceed 200 words):
(a) Authoritarian Personality
(b) Collective Representations.
(c) Religious Secularization
6. Critically examine the statement. A study of power inevitably involves an investigation of social class.
7. What is meant by Equality of Educational Opportunities? What are its possibilities in developing countries?
8. Do you accept that Marxism offers a „pre-fabricated theory of social change‟? Discuss critically.
1. Write notes on any three of the following in not more than 200 words each:
(a) Role of Elite in social transformation
(b) Reservations: Need and achievement
(c) Convergence of class and caste
(d) Crimes against women.
2. Assess the impact of the west in shaping the Indian Renaissance Movement in the 19th century.
3. Is the caste system immobile? Bring out the factors promoting intra-caste and inter- caste mobility.
4. Examine the roots of youth unrest. How can we channel youth power for national development?
5. Write notes on any three of the following in not more than 200 words each:
(a) Unequal access to education
(b) Bonded labour
(c) Role of mass media in modernization.
(d) Reaching development to the rural poor.
6. Analyses the different dimensions of the integration of tribes in the national polity. How can the process be accelerated?
7.Bring out the socio-cultural constraints in population control in rural areas. Suggest steps to make population control measures more effective.
8. Is corruption a necessary concomitant of development? How can it be curbed?