Sociology Optional Previous Years Papers – 1993
1. Write short notes on any three of the following (each answer should not exceed 200 words):
(a) Ideology and the emergence of Sociology
(b) Methods of Sociology according to Max Weber
(c) Concepts of functional alternatives
(d) Social determinants of economic development
2. Critically examine AGIL model of Talcott Parsons. How far is this model capable of explaining social changes in society?
3. Describe the functional analysis of religion given by Durkheim. Is this analysis applicable to the modern industrialized societies?
4. Give a brief account of the trends in sociological analysis of change in traditional family and kinship systems in the face of industrialization. SECTION B
5. Write short notes on any three of the following (each answer should not exceed 200 words):
(a) Significance of objectivity in sociological research
(b) Social class and vertical mobility
(c) Dysfunctions of bureaucracy
(d) Protest movements
6. Explain Karl Marx‟s theory of social stratification. On what grounds functionalists refute it?
7. Bring the relationship between culture and personality. Discuss with examples the differences in personalities in the same culture.
8. Evaluate the functioning of political parties in the democracies of the Third World.
1. Write short notes on any three of the following in not more than 200 words each:
(a) Primitive Communism
(b) Muslim women and divorce
(c) Minority groups and communalism
(d) Panchayati Raj and rural leadership
2. Examine the unity and limitations of indological source material to understanding of Indian society.
3. Explain the paradox of social change in the modern Indian society and describe the factors responsible for it.
4. Explain issue emerging from inter-religion interaction in India to-day. Evaluate them in the context of secularism in India.
5. Write short notes on any three of the following in not more than 200 words each:
(a) Pressure groups in Indian politics
(b) Positive and preventive checks on population
(c) Social movements and social mobility
(d) Social significance of Grihasthasrama
6. Discuss the executive measures and peoples‟ participation in implementing various development programmes at the village level in India.
7. What were the main trends of social reforms movements in nineteenth century? Critically discuss any one internal revitalization movement in Indian society.
8. Discuss the educational problems of weaker sections in India. What are the measures adopted to solve these problems?
Posted from WordPress for Android