Sociology Optional Previous Years Papers – 1994
1. Write short notes on any three of the following (each answer should not exceed 200 words):
(a) Intellectual sources for the rise of Sociology
(b) Malinowski‟s concept of culture
(c) Organic analogy
(d) Ideal types
2. State Talcott Parsons‟ contribution to theory of social action. What are the limitations of this theory?
3. In modern structural-functionalism. Merton‟s effort to develop a “Paradigm” for functional analysis in the most significant one. Evaluate this statement.
4. What did Max Weber mean by Interpretative under standing? Why did he believe that to model sociological researches exclusively on strategies and ambitions of natural sciences was a serious mistatke?
5. Write short notes on any three of the following (each answer should not exceed 200 words):
(a) Comparative method in Sociology
(c) Pathological form of division of labour
(d) Types of social movements
6. Critically examine Karl Marx‟s theory of alienation.
7. Explain the view that the nuclear family “fits” the needs of industrial society. Is it that the structure of nuclear family is the same in all industrial societies?
8. What is Social Policy and its relevance to social development. Under what circumstances social policy becomes a hinderance in social development?
1. Write notes on any three of the following (each answer should not exceed 200 words):
(a) Caste and occupational mobility
(b) Changing social origins of political elites in India
c) Social consequences of land ceiling legislation
(d) Minority status and religious conversions
2. “Buddhism is a social movement against hierarchical tradition for social equality in Indian society.” Discuss.
3. Discuss the functions of traditional economic institutions in India. Analyse the factors responsible for change in them.
4. Explain the relationship of human resource development and education in modern context.
5. Write notes on any three of the following (each answer should not exceed 200 words):
(a) Caste among Muslims in India.
(b) Legislation and socio economic change in family
(c) Sources of tribal unrest in India
(d) Decentralization of power and local development
6. Explain continuity and change of traditional social institutions in urban community in India. How are they adopting to the process of urban development.
7. Evaluate the role of state in social and economic reconstruction of Indian Society since independence.
8. “Poverty breeds poverty in rural India.” Evaluate integrated Rural Development Programme in the light of this statement.
Posted from WordPress for Android