GS Prelims Previous Years Question Paper- 1995 (Part 2)
51. The Mughal school of painting formed the spinal column of the various schools of Indian miniature art. Which one of the following painting styles was not affected by Mughal painting?
52. Who among the following were famous jurists of medieval India?
a. l, 2 and 3
b. 2, 3 and 4
c. 1, 2 and 4
d. 1 and 4
53. Most of the desert plants bloom during night time because
a. their blooming is controlled by low temperature
b. they are sensitive to the phases of moon
c. the desert insects eat away flowers during day time.
d. the desert insects are active during night time
54. Which of the following pairs are correct?
a. Increase in foreign exchange reserves —– Monetary expansion
b. Low import growth rate in India—— Recession in Indian industry
c. Euro issues ———– Shares held by Indian companies in European countries
d. Portfolio investment ———- Foreign institutional in vectors
a. 1, 2 and 4
b. 3 and 4
c. 1, 2 and 3
d. l, 2, 3 and 4
55. Article 156 of the Constitution of India provides that a Governor shall hold office for a term of live years from the date on which he enters upon his office. Which of the following can be deduced from this?
1. No Governor can be removed from office till the completion of his term.
2. No Governor can continue in office beyond a period of five years.
a. 1 only
b. 2 only
c. Both 1 and 2
56. A rectangular sump of dimension 6m × 5m x 4m is to be guilt by using bricks to make the outer dimension 6.2m × 5.2m × 4.2m. Approximately how many bricks of size 20Cm x 10 cm x5 cm are required to build the sump for storing water?
57. Who among the following anticipated Newton by declaring that all things gravitate to the earth?
58. Coffee cultivation in Sri Lanka was abandoned because of the disease
a. leaf blight
b. leaf spot
c. leaf rust
59. What is the annual rate aimed at an in the Eighth Five Year Plan
60. Prohibition of discrimination on grounds of religion etc (Article 15 of the Constitution of India). is a Fundamental Right classifiable under
a. the Right to Freedom of Religion
b. the Right against Exploitation
c. the Cultural and Educational Rights
d. the Right to Equality
61. Consider the figure given below: PQRS is a square of side 1 unit and Q, S are the centers of the two circles. The area of the shaded portion is
c. 14 2 1
d. 12 1
62. Match List I with List II
A. Ernesto Zedillo
B. Alberto Fumitory
C. Julio Maria sanguinetti
D. Fernando H. Cardoso
A B C D
a. 3 5 1 2
b. 4 5 3 1
c. 3 4 5 2
d. 5 3 1 4
63. Optical fiber works on the principal of
a. total internal reflection
64. Which of the following elements are present in all proteins?
a. 2 and 3
b. 1, 2 and 4
c. 1, 3, and 4
d. 1, 2, 3 and 4
65. Which one of the following is a mixed fertilizer?
c. Ammonium Sulphate
66. Which one of the following is the largest mutual fund organization in India?
a. SBI Mutual Fund
b. GIC Mutual Fund
c. Ind Bank Mutual Fund
d. Unit Trust of India
67. According to Mimainsa system of philosophy liberation is possible by means of
68. A thief running at 8 km/hour is chased by a policeman whose speed is 10 km/hour. If the thief is 100 meters ahead of the policeman, then the time required for the policeman to catch the thief will be
a. 2 minutes
b. 6 minutes
c. 10 minutes
d. 3 minutes
69. The lead character in the film The Bandit Queen has been played by
a. Pratiba Sinha
b. Rupa Ganguly
c. Seema Biswas
d. Shabana Azmi
70. The Nobel Prize for deciphering the language of bees was awarded to
a. HG. Khurana
b. K. V. Frisch
c. Julian Huxley
d. Dorothy Hodgkins
71. Which one of the following polymers is widely used for making bullet proof material?
a. Polyvinyl chloride
72. The palaeomagnetic results obtained from India indicate that in the past, the Indian land mass has moved
73. Corporation tax
a. is levied and appropriated by the States
b. is levied by the Union and collected and appropriated by the States
c. is levied by the Union and shared by the Union and the States
d. is levied by the Union and belongs to it exclusively
74. In which one of the following States of India it is legal for a Hindu male and illegal for a Muslim male to have more than one living wife?
d. Arunachal Pradesh
75. A student has 60% chance of passing in English and 54% chance of passing in both English and mathematics. What is the percentage probability that he will fail in mathematics?
76. The chemical used as a fixer in photography is
a. sodium sulphate
b. sodium thiosuiphate
c. ammonium persuiphate
77. Which of the following constitute the World Bank?
1. International Bank for Reconstruction and Development
2. International Finance Corporation
3. International Development Association
4. International Monetary Fund
a. 1, 2 and 3
b. 1, and 2
c. 3 and 4
d. 1, 2, 3 and 4
78. Which one of the following hormones contains iodine?
79. Of the four places marked 1, 2, 3 and 4 of the map, the one indicating a tidal port is
80. The radical wing of the Congress Party with Jawaharlal Nehru as one of its main leaders, founded the independence for India. League in opposition to
a. the Gandhi-Irwch Pact
b. the Home Rule Movement
c. the Nehru Report
d. the Mont ford reform
81. Agricultural income tax is assigned to the State government by
a. the Finance Commission
b. the National Development Council
c. the Inter-state Council
d. the Constitution of India
82. Suppose a rocket ship is receding from the earth at a speed of 2/10th the velocity of light. A light in the rocket ship appears blue to the passengers on the ship. What colour would it appear to an observer on the earth?
83. A table has three drawers. It is known that one of the drawers contains two silver coins, another contains two gold coins and the third one contains a silver coin and a gold coin. One of the drawers is opened at random and a coin is drawn. It is found to be a silver coin. What i the probability that the other coin in the drawer is a gold
84. Bronze icons of Nataraja cast during the chola period invariably show the deity with
a. eight hands
b. six hands
c. four hands
d. two hands
85. Willy Willy is
a. a type of tree grown in temperate regions
b. a wind that blows in a desert
c. a tropical cyclone of the north-west Australia
d. a kind of common fish found near Lakhadweep islands
86. Consider the map given below indicating four places frequently figuring in the news: Which one of them is Chechenya? Choose the correct answer
87. Which one of the following is not a instrument of selective credit control in India?
a. Regulation of consumer credit
b. Rationing of credit
c. Margin requirements
d. Variable cost reserve ratios
88. In the Cartesian plane four points P. Q, R, S. have co-ordinates (1, 1) (4, 2), (4, 4), at (1.4). The area of the quadrilateral PQRS
d. impossible to find unless the lengths the diagonals are known
89. The term Yavanapriya mentioned in ancient Sanskrit texts denoted
a. a fine variety of Indian Muslim
c. damsels sent to the Greek court for dance performance
90. The Dinesh Goswami Committee was concerned with
a. de-nationalistic of banks
b. electoral reforms
c. steps to put down insurgency in the north-east
d. the problem of the Chakmas
91. Which one of the following monuments has a dome which is said to be one of the largest in the world?
a. Tomb of Sher Shah, Sasaram
b. Jama Masjid, Delhi
c. Tomb of Ghiyas-ud-din Tughlaq, Delhi
d. Gol Gumbaz, Bijapur
92. Which one of the following is true regarding the Jawahar Rozgar Yojana (TRY)?
a. It was launched during the Prime Minister ship of Indira Gandhi
b. It aims at creating one million jobs annually
c. The target group of JRY are the urban poor living below the poverty line
d. Under the scheme 30% of the employment generated is reserved for women
93. Bank Rate implies the rate of interest
a. paid by the Reserve Bank of India onthe Deposits of Commercial Banks
b. Charged by Banks on loans and advances.
c. Payable on Bonds
d. at which the Reserve Bank of India discounts the Bills of Exchange
94. Which one of the following is not explicitly stated in the Constitution of India but followed as a convention?
a. The Finance Minister is to be a Member of the Lower House
b. The Prime Minister has to resign he loses majority in the Lower House
c. All the parts of India are to be represented in the Council of Ministers
d. In the event of both the President and the Vice-President demitting office simultaneously before the end of their tenure the Speaker of the lower House of the Parliament will officiate as the
95. Consider the diagram given below: T: Transport Ec: Education of children H: Housing C: Clothing F: Food S: Savings O: Others From the diagram shown it would be right to conclude that
a. the family spent more than half the income on food and clothing
b. the amount saved by the family was too little
c. the family had no health problems
d. the family managed to meet all the essential expenses out of the income earned.
96. Which one of the following was an emigree Communist journal of M N Roy?
a. Kisan Sahba
b. The Worker
97. In which one of the following crops international trade is low in the context of total produce?
98. By waving threads of physics, chemistry and biology into a rich tapestry, this remarkable scientist provided a unifying molecular view of the world. He touted the wonderful properties of Vitamin C first as a cure of common cold and later as a preventive agent against cancer. One of sciences major figures of all time referred to above is
a. G. N. Lewis
b. Linus Carl Pauling
c. Fritz London
d. Walter Heitle
99. The Narasimham Committee for Financial Sector Reforms has suggested reduction in
a. SLR and CRR
b. SLR, CRR and Priority Sector Financing
c. SLR and Financing to capital goods sector
d. CRR, Priority Sector Financing, Financing to capital goods sector
100. Which of the following are the States in which the Lok Ayukla Act includes the Chief Minister in its ambit?
a. West Bengal and Kerala
b. Gujarat and Maharashtra
c. Madhya Pradesh and Orrisa
d. Rajasthan and Karnataka
Posted from WordPress for Android