GS Prelims Previous Years Question Paper- 1995 (Part 3)
101. Ashtapradhan was a Council. Of ministers
a. in the Gupta administration
b. in the Chola administration
c. in the Vijayanagar administration
d. in the Maratha administration
102. Which one of the following pairs of materials serves as electrodes in chargeable batteries commonly used in devices such as torchlights, electric shavers etc.
a. Nickel and cadmium
b. Zinc and carbon
c. Lead peroxide and lead
d. Iron and cadmium
103. The Indian subcontinent was originally part of a huge mass called
a. Jurassic land mass
d. Gondwana continent
104. Which of the following are correctly matched?
1. Hamas — Palestinian extremist group
2. Sinn Fein — IR As political wing
3. True Path Party — A major constituent of the ruling coalition in Turkey
Which is correct?
a. 1 and 2
b. 1 and 3
c. 1, 2 and 3
d. 2 and 3
105. The final Agent Orange raid in Vietnam took place in 1970 areas have begun to bloom again. But 19 years after the wars end, it seems plain that Agent Orange is killing and maiming human beings, something it never intended to do. The apparent toxic fallout from those clouds is a crop of human miseries including cancers, miscarriages and birth defects-that may persist for decades. The offensive substance referred to in this quotation is
a. DDT used as insecticide
b. a complex mixture of herbicides and weedicides used to increase agricultural output in the South Vietnam under the US aid programme
c. a complex mixture of DDT and other insecticides used as aerial sprays for protection against malaria and other tropical diseases
d. dioxin used as defoliants.
106. It begins as a single cell and grows into a merciless disease that claims millions of lives year after year. But scientists are steadily unlocking its mysteries, and the fight against it may now have reached a dramatic turning point. New discoveries promise better therapies and hope in the war against ____. The disease referred to in the above quotation is
d. Alzheimer s disease
107. Consider the table given below providing details of traffic volume per hour for four locations:
LocationTotal traffic volume %of Heavy Vehicles Average noise level in dB (A) Noise pollution level in dB (A) I 377 24.4073.5084.00II 38012.50 72.6083.00III 37730.0073.50 86.50IV 22512.5072.9880.90
When the total traffic volume is the same, the for (s) which affect (s) the noise pollution level is/are
a. % of heavy vehicles
b. noise pollution level and average noise level
c. average noise level and % of heavy vehicles
d. indeterminable on the basis of details given
108. Which one of the following dose not belongs to biosphere reserves set-up so far?
a. Great Nicobar
b. Sunder bans
c. Nanda Devi
d. Gulf of Kachchh
109. Cryogenic engines find applications in
a. sub-marine propulsion
b. frost-free refrigerators
c. rocket technology
d. researches in superconductivity
110. Consider the map given below: The route indicated in the map was followed, during the course of his military exploits, by
a. Chandragupta II
c. Rajendra Chola
d. Malik Kafur
111. The clouds flods in the atmosphere because of their low
112. Which one of the following mountain ranges is spread over only one State in India?
113. Hughly was used as a base for piracy in the Bay of Bengal by
a. the Portuguese
b. the French
c. the Danish
d. the British
114. The variations in temperatures from 0° C to 100° C with respect to time of two liquids P, Q are shown in the graph gives below: Which one of the following statements is correct?
a. During heating, liquid P remained hotter than liquid Q throughout
b. At no point of time during heating did the two liquids have the same temperature
c. P attained the temperature of 100° C faster than Q
d. Q attained the temperature of 100° C faster than P
115. In the field of space technology India has demonstrated during 1994, her capability to
a. design advance intercontinental ballistic missile warning systems
b. build satellites
c. build stealth missiles
d. launch geo-stationary satellites.
116. The Modi script was employed in the documents of the
117. Yellow cake, an item of smuggling across borders is
a. a crude form of heroin
b. a crude form of cocaine
c. uranium oxide
d. unrefined gold
118. One of the reasons for Indias occupational structure remaining more or less the same over the years has been that
a. investment pattern has been directed towards capital intensive industries
b. Productivity in agriculture has been high enough to induce people to stay with agriculture
c. Ceiling on land holdings have enabled more people to own land and hence their preference to stay with agriculture
d. People are largely unaware of the significance of transition from agriculture to industry for economic development
119. Which one of the following countries had in 1994 voted against joining the European Union?
120. Examine the map given below: The places marked 1, 2, 3 and 4 were respectively the seats of powers of the
a. Scindias, Holkars, Gaekwards and Bhonsles
b. Holkars, Scindias, Gaekwads and Bhonsles
c. Gaekwads, Bhonsles, Scindias and Holkars
d. Scindias, Hlkars, Bhonsles and Gaekwads
121. Which of the following benefits are likely to accrue to India from the World Trade Organization?
a. Indias share in the world trade is to go up from the present 600 million US dollars to 5 billion US dollars by 2000 AD.
b. It will help boost exports of agricultural commodities from India.
c. Indias share in the world trade is likely to triple by the year 2000 AD.
I. 1, 2 and 3
II. 1 and 2
III. 1 and 3
IV. 2 and 3
122. Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 hit the planet
123. The price fluctuations of 4 scrips in a stock market in the four quarters of a year are shown in the table below. Four different in rectors had the following portfolios of investment in the four companies throughout the year:
PortfoliosInvestor 1 10 of A, 20 of B, 30 of C and 40 of D
Investor 2 40 of A, 10 of B, 20 of C and 30 of D
Investor 3 30 of A, 40 of B, 10 of C and 20 of D
Investor 4 20 of A, 30 of B, 40 of C and 10 of D
Stock Market Performance I QuarterII QuarterIII QuarterIV Quarter Scrip AUp 10%Down 15%Up 10%Down 10% Scrip BUp 2%Up 1%Up 2%Up 2% Scrip CUp 1%Up 1%Down 5%Down 1% Scrip DUp 20%Down 15%Up 30%Down 10%
In the light of the above which one of the following statements is correct?
a. investor 2 has made the best investment
b. Investor I has made the best investment
c. Investor 2 suffered a net loss during the year
d. Investor 3 suffered a net loss during the year
124. Which one of the following pairs is correctly matched?
a. Battle of Bexar — Mir Jafar vs Clive
b. Battle of Wand wash — French vs East India Company
c. Battle of Chilianwala —- Dathousie vs Marathas
d. Battle of Kharda — Nizam vs East India Company
125. Examine the following statements:
1. All children are Inquisitive.
2. Some children arc inquisitive.
3. No children are inquisitive.
4. Some children are not inquisitive.
Among these statements, the two statements which cannot both be true simultaneously but can both be false would be
a. 1 and 3
b. 1 and 4
c. 2 and 3
d. 3 and 4
126. Arakan Yoma is the extension of the Himalayas located in
127. The signatories to the realy banning chemical weapons include
a. USA Russia, India, Iran and Israel
b. Iraq, Libya, India, Russia and China
c. Brazil, Angol North Korea, Pakistan and USA.
d. Syria, Sri Lanka, Japan Singapore and France
128. What is the correct sequence of the following events?
1. The Lucknow Pact
2. The Introduction of Dyarchy
3. The Rowlett Act
4. The partition of Bengal
a. 1, 3, 2, 4
b. 4, 1, 3, 2
c. 1, 2, 3, 4
d. 4, 3, 2, 1
129. An air bubble in water will act like a
a. convex mirror
b. convex lens
c. concave mirror
d. concave lens
130. X and Y are two variables whose values at any time are related to each other as shown in fig (i). X is known to vary periodically with reference to time as shown in Fig (ii). Which of the following curves depicts correctly the dependence of Y on time?
131. The national highway from Ainritsar to Calcutta via Delhi is numbered
132. The word Adivari was used for the first time to refer to the tribal people by
a. Mahatma Ghancihi
b. Thakkar Bappa
c. Jyotiba Phule
d. B. R. Arnhedkar
133. The concept of Anuvrata was advocated by
a. Mahayana Buddhism
b. Hinayana Buddhism
d. the Lokayata school
134. Out of a total of 120 musicians in a club, 5% can play all the three instruments, guitar, violin and flute. It so happens that the number of musicians who can play any two and only two of the above instruments is 30. The number of musicians who can play the guitar alone is 40. What is the total number of those who can play violin alone or flute alone?
135. Which one of the following is incorrect in respect of Local Government in India?
a. According to the Indian Constitution, local government is not an independent tier in the federal system
b. 30% of the seats in local bodies are reserved for women
c. Local government finances are to be provided by a Commission
d. Elections to local bodies are to be determined, by a Commission
136. The Barrah dacoity was the first major venture of the revolutionary terrorists of the freedom movement in
c. East Bengal
d. The Madras Presidence
137. Which of the following political parties is/are national political parties?
1. Muslim League
2. Revolutionary Socialist Party
3. All India Forward Block
4. Peasants and Workers Party of India
a. 1, 2 and 3
b. 2 and 4
c. 3 only
138. The difference between a nuclear reactor and an atomic bomb is that
a. no chain reaction takes place in nuclear reactor while in the atomic bomb there is a chain reaction
b. the chain reaction in nuclear reactor is controlled
c. the chain reaction in nuclear reactor is not controlled
d. no chain reaction takes place in atomic bomb while it takes place in nuclear
139. The main reason for low growth rate in India, in spite of high rate of savings and capital formation is
a. high birth rate
b. low level of foreign aid
c. low capital/output ratio
d. high capital/output ratio
140. Examine the map of Jammu and Kashmir given below: The mountain ranges marked 1, 2, 3 and 4 are respectively
a. Ladakh, Zanskar, Karakoram and Pir Panjal
b. Karakoram, Ladakh, Zanskar and Pir Panjal
c. Karakoram, Zanskar, Pir Panjal and Ladakh
d. Ladakh, Pir Panjal, Karakoram and Zanskar
141. Which one of the following fuels causes minimum environmental pollution?
142. The largest source of financing the public sector outlay of the Eighth Five Year Plan comes from
a. balance from current revenue
b. contribution of public enterprises
c. government borrowings
d. deficit financing
143. The new Exim Policy announced in 1992, is for a period of
a. 3 Years
b. 4 Years
c. 7 Years
d. 5 Years
144. Zero was invented by
c. Bhaskara I
d. an unknown Indian
145. Which of the following can be inferred from the statement that Either John is stupid or John is lazy?
1. John is lazy/therefore, John is not stupid.
2. John is not lazy/therefore, John is stupid.
3. John is not stupid/therefore, John is lazy.
4. John is stupid/therefore, John is not lazy.
a. 1 and 2
b. 2 and 3
c. 3 and 4
d. 1 and 4
146. Consider the following:
1. Industrial Finance Corporation of India
2. Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India
3. Industrial Development Bank of India
4. Unit Trust of India
The correct sequence in which the above were established is
a. 1; 2, 3, 4
b. 1, 3, 2, 4
c. 4, 3, 2, 1
d. 1, 4, 3, 2
147. In 1930 Mahatma Gandhi started Civil Disobedience Movement from
148. If in an election to a State Legislative Assembly the candidate who is declared elected loses his deposit, it means that
a. the polling was very poor
b. the election was for a multi-member constituency
c. the elected candidates victory over his nearest rival was very marginal
d. a very large number of candidates contested the election
149. A person earns Rs. 2000 per month over and above his salary as additional charge allowance. However, 30% of this additional income will be deducted as additional income tax at source. If the person would deposit Rs. 1000 per month on a long term saving fetching 12% interests his tax liability on the additional allowance would reduce to 10%. What is the effective interest for this person for money invested in the long term savings scheme?
150. Which one of the following pairs if not correctly matched?
a. Jamnalal Bajaj —– Satyagraha Ashram at Wardha
b. Dadabhai Naoroji —— Bombay Association
c. Lala Lajpat Rai ———National School at Lahore
d. Bal Gangadhar Tilak —– Satya Shodhak Sabha
Posted from WordPress for Android