GS Mains History 1989
1. Why did Gandhiji launch the Non-violent Non-cooperation Movement on the Khilafat question? How were other issues Joined to it later on? Discuss the constructive programme of the Noncooperation Movement.
What was the Cabinet Mission Plan? How was the ‘grouping clause’ fundamental to it? What was its impact on the attitude of the Congress and the League (About 250 words)? (30)
2. Answer any two of the following: (About 150 words each) (15 × 2 = 30)
a. ‘The recruitment of Indians to Civil Services was the most important question in the last quarter of the nineteenth century.’ Explain.
b. How was Jawaharlal Nehru influenced by socialist ideas?
c. How did the Socialist thinking of Nehru and other leaders influence the Congress before 1942?
d. How did Patel succeed in avoiding the evil consequences of the doctrine of lapse of paramountcy and in integrating Indian States?
3.Answer any three of the following: (About 50 words each) (10 × 3 = 30)
a. Analyse briefly the contribution of religious reform movements to the growth of extremist nationalist movement.
b. ‘The trial of the INA officers did more harm than good to the British Rule in India.’ Explain.
c. Tagore’s humanism is a blending of his faith in god and man: Comment.
4. Answer the following questions Write about the chief characteristics of the following: (Two sentences on each) (2 × 15 = 30)
Kishangarh style of painting
Nagara style of architecture
Neo-art movement of Rabindranath Tagore
5. What do you know about the following movements?
Rahnumai Mazda Yasnam
The Bhagat Movement
The Wahabi Movement
6. Why have the following become famous?
M A Ansari
Panna Lal Patel