GS Mains IAS Previous Years Paper 1 – 2001
1. Answer any one of the following (about 250 words): 30
(a) Discuss the main objectives of the Indian national movement up to 1905. What were its basic weaknesses during this period?
(b) What administrative changes were introduced in India after 1858? What were the objectives of these changes?
2. Answer any two of the following (About 150 words each): 2×15=30
(a) How did the movement for the liberation of women receive a great stimulus from the rise and growth of the nationalist movement in India?
(b) Discuss the aims and objects of the Khilafat Movement. To what extent was it successful?
(c) Why did Gandhi launch the Salt Satyagraha in 1903 and with what results?
3. Write about the following (About 20 words each): 15×2=30
(i) Aryabhatta (ii) D.K. Karve
(iii) J. Krishnamurthy (iv) Prathana Samaj
(v) Ghadar Party (vi) Satyashodhak Samaj
(vii) Jamnala Bajaj (viii) Banabhatta
(ix) Gopi Kishana (x) Pupul Jaykar
(xi) Mohammad Iqbal (xii) Jaydeva
(xiii) T. Prakasam (xiv) Champaran Satyagraha
(xv) Ali Brothers
4. Answer any two of the following (About 125 words each): 2×10=20
(a) What are mangroves and in what way are they useful to us ?
(b) Explain the causes of the Indian Monsoon.
(c) Had there been no Himalayas, what would have been the winter climate in north India ?
5. Write short notes on the following(About 20 words each): 5×2=10
(i) El Nino
(ii) Hirakud Project
(iv) Two Prominent left bank tributaries of river Ganges
6. Answer any one of the following(About 250 words): 30
(a) Discuss the administrative relation between the centre and the states in the light of recent controversies.
(b) Bring out the aberrations of the parliamentary systems of government in India.
7. Answer any one of the following(About 250 words): 30
(a) What is the constitutional position of Directive Principles of State Policy? How has it been interpreted by the judiciary after the emergency in 1975-77?
(b) What are the main difference between the passage of a Constitution Amendment Bill and other Legislative Bills?
8. Answer any two of the following (About 150 words each) : 2×15=30
(a) Comment on the nature of Ordinance- making power of the President Of India. What safeguards are there against possible misuse?
(b) Distinguish between Cabinet Secretariat and Prime Minister’s Secretariat. Which of these is more important?
(c) Discuss the constitutional provisions regarding the rights of children.
9. Answer the following (About 20 words reach): 5×2=10
(a) Explain the Local Area Development Scheme of the Members of Parliaments.
(b) What is Ethics Committee of Lok Sabha?
(c) Why is it said that the centre has absolute veto over State Legislature?
10. Write any one the following (About 250 words): 30
(a) Review the Population Policy of the Govt. of India giving the distinguishing features.
(b) Discuss the significance of GSLV in space research.
11. Write on any two of the following (About 125 words each). 2×10=20
(a) Determine the utility of Direct to Home in broadcasting system.
(b) What are the UNDP indicators with reference to the planning process?
(c) What are the Human Rights issues involved in relation to the arrest of M. Karunanidi in Tamilnadu in July 2001 ?
12. Write notes on any two of the following(About 125 words each): 2×10=20
(a) Swam Jayanti Gram Swaraj Yojana
(b) Law Commission of India
(c) Lalit Kala Akademi
13. Write about the following (About 20 words each): 5×2=10
(a) Pullela Gopichand
(b) E- commerce
(d) Sports Authority of India