GS Mains IAS Previous Years Question Paper 2 – 1990
1. (a) “The emphasis in modern federations should not be one division and separation but on Collaboration and on Co-operation.” Discuss the statement in the context of Indian Policy. (In about 250 words) 40
(b) Review the present Electoral System in India and suggest modifications to ensure better and healthier Policy.
2. (a) Indentify and analyse a few major amangement problems which the Indian Public enterprises are facing today. In the light of your analysis, would you advocate “ privatisation” of some of our public enterprises? (About 250 words) 40
(b) What is the rationale for decentralized planning in India? Discuss the obstacles that have stood in the way of such planning? (About 250 words)
3. (a) What are the main recommendations of the Montreal Protocol to Protect the Ozone layer ? What are the implications for India of the latest convention held at London? (About 250 words) 40
(b) What is the application of superconductors in computers?
4. Answer any two of the following (Answer to each question should be in about 150 words): 20+20
(a) What are the major recommendations of the National Perspective Plan for women, 1988 and what are the relevant recommendations as envisaged in the Constitutional Amendment Bill (64 th Amendment)?
(b) Explain the nature and extent of discretionary power and special responsibilities of the Governor in the Indian Constitution?
(c) Describe the Constitutional position of the Civil Services in India. How is their neutrality and independence sought to be achieved?
(d) What are the “reasonable restrictions” mentioned in the Indian Constitution accompanying the fundamental rights?
5. Answer any two of the following (Answer to each question should be in about 150 words): 20+20
(a) What is the economic rationale behind the establishment of “growth centres”? Explain briefly the criteria for selecting three growth centre’s.
(b) State and explain briefly the economic implications of the “Right to Work.”
(c) Discuss the factors that have led to the recent increase in the general price level and the measures taken by the Government to combat it.
(d) What measures have been taken under the Five Year Plans to increase employment opportunities in rural areas?
6. Answer any two of the following (Answer to each question should be in about 150 words): 15+15
(a) Explain the concept of National Water Grid and its objectives.
(b) What is the need for soil conservation? What are the major measures taken by the Government towards conserving Soil in India?
(c) Comment on the detrimental effects of canal irrigation?
(d) As part of the process of ‘urban sprawl’, distinguish between urban peripheral growths, suburbs and satellite towns giving, at least, one example of each type from any metropolitan centre India.
7. Answer any two of the following (Answer to each question should be in about 150 words): 20+20
(a) Briefly describe the Karimnagar experiment for application of Science and Technology for regional development.
(b) The ICMR has cautioned that the dreaded disease AIDS might spread in the next few years in India too. What steps are recommended for its control?
(c) Aqua culture (inland fish farming) is considered to have an important role in increasing the food supply and generate employment. What steps are being taken by the Government to encourage aqua culture?
(d) Write an account of BVO. Give reasons against its use.
8. Answer four question from Group A, Three from Group B and three from Group C.
(In about 25 words) 30
(a) What is Exchange Risk Administration Scheme?
(b) What is an “industrial sick unit” Name the Indian industry where the problem of industrial sickness is very acute.
(c) Explain the concept of ‘social forestry’ in India.
(d) Explain the term “captive power station.” What is the aim of setting up of such station?
(e) Mention the states where shifting cultivation is still practiced in India.
(f) What is “Biosphere Reserve”? Explain its significance.
(a) Explain the significance of Prasar Bharati Corporation in the context of modern mass media.
(b) What is contempt of Parliament? Mention its various kinds.
(c) State the significance of Article 370 of our Constitution.
(d) Describe the procedure for the creation of Second Chamber of the State Legislature.
(e) Define Write of Mandamus. Explain its importance.
(f) What are the functions of the Business Advisory Committee of the Loksabha?
(a) What is frequency modulation?
(b) What do you understand by nuclear fall out? What are its harmful effects?
(c) What is photonics? Mention some of the areas of its application.
(d) Explain the meaning of the term ‘quantum jumps’
(e) What is meant by global warning? What are its effects?
(f) Mention the breakthrough made in NCL in the field of plant-genetics and explain its significance. 8