DPPGE: 13 March
1. Consider the following statements:
1. In the tropical rainforest of Brazil, the average diurnal range of temperature is much greater than the average annual range of temperature.
2. In the humid subtropical climate of Kyushu island of Japan, the rainfall for the year almost totals that of the rainfall in tropical rainforest.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct ?
a. 1 only b. 2 only
c. Both 1 and 2 d. Neither 1 nor 2
2. Which of following statement is true about the Ecotone?
a. It is meeting place of two different eco systems
b. It is meeting place of two same eco systems
c. Density of species is very low here
d. All of the above.
3. Consider following statement about the estuary
I) Estuary is place where the river fresh waster meets with ocean water
II) This area is highly productive
III) This area is highly unproductive
IV) All of the above
Which of above the statements is/are true?
a. I) only
b. II) only
c. I) and II)
5. Assertion (A) : After carbon, nitrogen is the most abundant element in the biosphere.
Reason (R) : Nitrogen is essential for synthesizing the living matter in nature.
6. Assertion (A) : Vertisols are most extensive in Australia, India and Sudan.
Reason (R) : The clay-producing materials are available in mesothermal or tropical climates with periodic dry and wet seasons.
d. A is false but R is true
8. Assertion (A) : Black cotton soils are ideal for dry fanning
Reason (R) : Black cotton soils are fine grained.
9. Assertion (A): Hurricanes do not originate in South Atlantic Ocean and South-Eastern Pacific ocean
Reason (R): In South Atlantic and South Eastern Pacific oceans, the intertropical convergence zone seldom occurs.
10. Assertion (A): Greenland and Antarctica regions are permanent centres of thermal anticyclones.
Reason (R): The high pressure is the common feature of Greenland and Antarctica because of the higher latitudes and free radiation.