Sociology Optional Previous Years Papers – 1990
1. Write short notes on any three of the following (each answer should not exceed 200 words):
(a) Participant observation
(b) Bureaucracy and economic development
(c) Status inconsistency
(d) Conformity and deviance
2. Alcott Parsons‟ theory of social system has been criticized as a veiled status quoits ideology. Critically examine valid and justified in this criticism.
3. How does Marx‟s treatment of alienation differ from that of other sociologists?
4. What does R.K. Merton mean when he admits that not everything works out for the best of everyone in society? What is his improvement on functional theory?
5. Write short notes on any three of the following (each answer should not exceed 200 words):
(a) Education and inequality
(b) Directed social change
(c) Community power structure
(d) Socialization and personality
6. Trace the Psychological and Sociological roots of social movements in society today. Do social movements facilitate social change?
7. Discuss the nature and character of voluntary associations. What is their importance in developing societies.
8. Religion is said to have emancipated human beings on the one hand but it also alienates them on the other.‟ Bring out the paradoxical functions religion plays in a modern secular society.
PAPER II- 1990
1. Write notes on any three of the following in not more than 200 words each:
(a) Basic features of traditional Hindu social organisation.
(b) Market economy and Agrarian social structure
(c) Religion and national integration in India.
(d) Corruption and Political process
2. Action, for the Indian is not individualistic but societal. Critically evaluate the statement.
3. Discuse the process of mobility that has taken place in the caste structure in India in this context, explain the convergence of caste and class.
4. Critically assess the role of social legislation in bringing about basic structural changes it marriage, family and property in India. What are the main obstacles in evolving a common Civil Code?
5. Write notes on any three of the following is not more than 200 words each:
(a) Cultural factors in the adoption of family planning in India
(b) Educational inequality and social change
(c) Sociological perspective of „Right to Work‟ in India
(d) Political power and rural development in India
6. Indian tradition, today exhibits a form of neo-traditionsalism along with modernisation.‟ Comment.
7. What are the main social determinants of economic development in India? Examine this question with special reference to the growth of entrepreneurship and the rise of business houses in India.
8. Critically evaluate the role of religion and ethniqity in Indian politics since the First General Electtons in 1952.
Posted from WordPress for Android