GS Mains History 1991
1. Narrate the last phase of the India’s freedom movement especially from the beginning of 1947 till the attainment of Independence (35).
Discuss the growth of revolutionary terrorism with special reference to its ramifications in Maharashtra, Bengal and Punjab till the first decade of the twentieth century (About 250 words).
2. Answer any two of the following (15 × 2 = 30)
a. What was Harijan Movement? Why and with what effect did Gandhi launch individual Satyagraha?
b. ‘I am convinced that the only key to the solution of the world’s problems and of India’s problems lies in socialism. I see no way of ending the poverty, the vast unemployment, the degradation and the subjection of the Indian people except through socialism.’ In what way did Nehru succeed in achieving the objectives through national planning?
c. Trace the growth and development of University education till 1919 (About 150 words each).
3. Answer any three of the following: (About 50 words each) (10 × 3 = 30)
a. ‘Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar’s versatile career went through various phases.’ State briefly the various facets of his life.
b. How far was Rabindranath Tagore a poet of Mankind?
c. Discuss the role of the Theosophical Society in the history of religious movement in India.
d. State the various regulations imposed by the British Government to curtail the freedom of the press.
4. Answer any three of the following: (About 20 words on each) (10 × 3 = 30)
a. Write about the chief characteristics of the following:
Chandella school of architecture
5. What do you know about the following movements?
6. Why have the following become famous?
S A Dange
C. Sankaran Nair