GS Mains History 1995
1. Do you think that the Partition of India was inevitable? Discuss the attitudes of Mahatma Gandhi, Pandit Nehru and Maulana Azad towards the crucial question of Partition (35).
In what way did the Civil Disobedience Movement affect the different provinces of India? How did it foster peasant movement in India (About 250 words)?
2. Answer any two of the following (About 150 words each) (15 × 2 = 30)
a. When was the system of open competitive examination in the Indian Civil Service introduced. Analyse the growth of the Indian Civil Service till the passing of the Government of India Act, 1919.
b. Discuss the various aspects of social legislation introduced by the East India Company in the first half of the nineteenth century.
c. Trace the emergence of Indian nationalism till the foundation of the Indian National Congress.
3. Answer any three of the following (About 75 words each): (10 × 3 = 30)
a. How did the British illustrate Lord Canning’s policy in treating the Indian Princes as ‘Breakwaters in the storm’
b. Assess the growth and development of Technical Education during the British rule.
c. ‘Swami Vivekanande might well be called the father of Indian nationalism.’ Elucidate.
d. How far was Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore’s concept of religion wedded to his love of nature?
4. Write about the chief feature of the following:
5. What do you know about the following?
6. WWhy have the following become famous (About 20 words each)?
Vasudeo Balwant Phadke
N C Kelkar
C F Andrews (2 × 15 = 30)