GS Mains History 1999
1. How did Communalism manifest in Indian political scene? Explain the background of the passing of the momentous Pakistan Resolution.
What were the proposals of the Cabinet Mission? Analyse there actions of the Congress and the League to the proposals (About 250 words). 35
2. Answer any two of the following: (About 150 words on each)
a. Trace the formation of the Swaraj Party. What were its demands.
b. ‘What began as a flight for religion ended as a war of independence, for there is not the slightest doubt that the rebels wanted to get rid of the alien government and restore the old order of which the king of Delhi was the rightful representative.’ Do you support this viewpoint?
c. How far Curzon’s policy towards Tibet was influenced by strategic consideration. 15 × 2 = 30
3. Answer any three of the following: (About 75 words on each)
a. Assess the contributions of Ishwarchandra Vidyasagar to the making of modern India.
b. In what way did Ramakrishna infuse a new vigour and dynamism into Hinduism?
c. ‘Tagore’s poetry is a written record of his religious experience.’ Elucidate.
d. How did Nehru’s plan for modernization make rapid stride during the decade 1951 − 61? 10 × 3 = 30
4. Write about the chief features of the following: (About 20 words on each)
5. What do you know about the following?
Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science
Education Despatch of 1854
6. Why have the following become famous?
C. Y. Chintamani
Tej Bahadur Sapru
Veeresalingam P. K.
Kamladevi Chattopadhyay 2 × 15 = 30