(Prelims) IAS General Studies – 1998 (Part 4)
46. Assertion A : Sodium metal is stored under kerosene
Reason R: Metallic sodium melts when exposed to air
(a) Both A and R are true and R is the correct explanation of A
(b) Both A and R are true but R is NOT the correct explanation of A
(c) A is true but R is false
(d) A is false but R is true
- Elemental sodium does not occur naturally on Earth, because it quickly oxidizes in air and is violently reactive with water, so it must be stored in an inert medium, such as a liquid hydrocarbon.It does not melt but burn.
- Like the other alkali metals, sodium metal is a soft, light-weight, silvery white, reactive metal. Owing to its extreme reactivity, it occurs in nature only combined in compounds, never as a pure elemental metal.
47. Assertion A : The congress rejected the cripps proposals
Reason R : The cripps Mission consisted solely of whites
- Main reasons for the failure of the Cripps mission of 1942 was:: 1) Gandhi’s opposition led the Indian National Congress to reject the British offer. 2) Cripps’ modification of the original British offer, which provided for no real transfer of power. 3) the behind-the-scenes efforts of the Viceroy and Secretary of State for India to sabotage the mission.
48. Assertion A : The United States of America has threatened to ask the World Trade Organisation (WTO) to apply sanctions against the developing countries for the non-obsergance of I.L.O. conventions
Reason R : The United States of America itself has adopted and implemented those I.L.O. conventions.
49. Assertion A :During the reign of Shahjahan, Dara Sikoh was sent on expedition to Balkha,Badakhshan and Qandahar.
Reason R :The expedition sent by Shahjahan to the Middle-East was a marvellous success
50. Assertion A : Gandhi stopped the Non-Co-operation Movement in 1922.
Reason R : Violence at Chauri Chaura led him to stop the movement.
51. The correct sequence of different layers of the atmosphere from the surface of the Earth upwards is
(a) Troposphere, Stratosphere, Ionosphere, Mesosphere
(b) Stratosphere, Troposphere, Ionosphere, Mesosphere
(c) Troposphere, Stratosphere, Mesosphere, Ionosphere
(d) Stratosphere, Troposphere, Mesosphere, Ionosphere
52. If 15 pumps of equal capacity can fill a tank in 7 days, then how many extra pumps will be required to fill the tank in 5 days’?
- (15 * 7)/ 5 = 21 pumps => Extra pump required = 21 – 15 = 6
53. Which of the following pairs are correctly matched’?
1. Lothal Ancient dockyard
2. Sarnath First Sermon of Buddha
3. Rajgir Lion capital of Ashoka
4. Nalanda Great seat of Buddhist learning
Select the correct answer using the codes given below
(a) 1, 2, 3 and 4
(b) 3 and 4
(c) 1, 2 and 4
(d) 1 and 2
- Lion capital of Ashoka : Sarnath
54. Which one of the following pairs of cities has recently been connected through a 6-lane express way ?
(a) Ahmedabad : Vadodra
(b) Dhaka : Chittagong
(c) Islamabad : Lahore
(d) Mumbai : Pune
55. Match List I with List II and select the correct answer(Currency with country)
List-I List II
A. Ringgit 1. Indonesia
B. Baht 2.South Korea
C. Rupiah 3.Thailand
D. Won 4.Malaysia
A B C D
(a) 1 3 4 2
(b) 4 3 1 2
(c) 1 2 4 3
(d) 4 2 1 3
56. Consumption of fish is considered to be healthy when compared to flesh of other animals because fish contains
(a) polyunsaturated fatty acids
(b) saturated fatty acids
(c) essential vitamins
(d) more carbohydrates and proteins
57. Consider the following statements: Ahadis were those troopers who
1. offered their services singly.
2. did not attach themselves to any chief.
3. has the emperor as their immediate colonel.
4. attached themselves to Mirzas.
Of these statements
(a) 1, 3 and 4 are correct
(b) 1, 2 and 3 are correct
(c) 2 and 3 are correct
(d) 1 and 4 are correct
- The Ahadis (gentleman trooper): They offered their services singly, they did not attach themselves to any chief, thus forming a class apart
58. Out of three annual examinations, each with a total of 500 marks, a student secured average marks of 45% and 55% in the first and second annual examinations. To have an overall average of 60%, how many marks does the student need to secure in the third annual examination ?
- 500 * 45/100 = 225
- 500 * 55/100 = 275
- 1500 * 60/100 = 900
- So Required = 900 – (225+275) = 400
59. When the Indian Muslim League was inducted into the interim government in 1946, Liyaqat Ali Khan was assigned the portfolio of
(a) Foreign affairs
60. Which one of the following ancient Indian records is the earliest royal order to preserve food-grains to be utilised during the crises in the country ?
(a) Sohagaura Copper-plate
(b) Rummindei pillar-edict of Asoka
(d) Mehrauli Pillar inscription of Chandra
- The earliest known copper-plate, known as the Sohgaura copper-plate (in Uttar Pradesh), is a Maurya record that mentions famine relief efforts.