(Prelims) IAS General Studies – 1998 (Part 5)
61. According to Meadows(1972), if the present trends in world population industrialization, pollution, food production and resource depletion continue unchanged, the “Limits to Growth” on our planet will be reached in the next
(a) 50 years (b) 100 years (c) 150 years (d) 200 years
- The Limits to Growth is a 1972 book about the computer simulation of exponential economic and population growth with finite resource supplies. Funded by the Volkswagen Foundationn and commissioned by the Club of Rome it was first presented at the St. Gallen Symposium. Its authors were Donella Meadows, Dennis Meadows, Randers, and William Behrens III.
- According to the authors, assuming continuation of the average rate of consumption growth, virtually all major minerals and energy resources would expire within 100 years of publication (i.e., by 2070)
62. Human Poverty Index was introduced in the Human Development Report of the year
(a) 1994 (b) 1995 (c) 1996 (d) 1997
- The Human Poverty Index (HPI) was an indication of the standard of living in a country, developed by the United Nations (UN) to complement the Human Development Index (HDI) and was first reported as part of the Human Development Report in 1997.
63. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer
List-I (Disease) List II (Organism)
A. Malaria 1. Fungi
B. Poliomyelitis 2. Bacteria
C. Tuberculosis 3. Virus
D. Ringworm 4. Protozoan
A B C D A B C D
(a) 4 3 2 1 (b) 4 3 1 2
(b) 3 4 1 2 (c) 1 2 3 4
64. Consider the following
1. Tughlaquabad fort. 2. Lodi Garden
3. Qutab Minar. 4.Fatehpur Sikri.
The correct chronological order in which they were built is
(a) 3, 1, 4, 2 (b) 3, 1, 2, 4 (c) 1, 3, 2, 4 (d) 1, 3, 4, 2
- Tughlaqabad Fort is a ruined fort in Delhi, built by Ghiyas-ud-din Tughlaq, the founder of Tughlaq dynasty, of the Delhi Sultanate of India in 1321
- Fatehpur Sikri was founded in 1569 by the Mughal emperor Akbar, and served as the capital of the Mughal Empire from 1571 to 1585
- Qutab Minar was Construction was started in 1193 by Qutb-ud-din Aibak
- Lodi Gardens in Delhi, India, contains, Mohammed Shah’s Tomb, Sikander Lodi’s Tomb, Sheesh Gumbad and Bara Gumbad, architectural works of the 15th century by Lodhis, an Afghan dynasty, that ruled parts of northern India and Punjab from 1451 to 1526.
65. Which one of the following satisfied the relationship Dda : aDD :: Rrb: ?
(a) D D A (b) R R R (c) b R R (d) B B r
66. The concept of Eight-fold path forms the theme of
(a) Dipavamsa (b) Divyavadana
(c) Mahaparirubban Sutta (d) Dharma Chakara Pravartana Sutra .
- The Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta (The Setting in Motion of the Wheel of Dharma) is a Buddhist text that is considered to be a record of the first teaching given by the Buddha after he attained enlightenment. According to tradition, the Buddha gave this teaching in Sarnath, India, to the five ascetics. The main topic of this sutta is the Four Noble Truths, which are the central teachings of Buddhism.
- The Noble Eightfold Path is the fourth of the Buddha’s Four Noble Truths; the first element of the Noble Eightfold Path is, in turn, an understanding of the Four Noble Truths. It is also known as the Middle Path or Middle Way.
67. The recent Land Mines Conference to sign the historic treaty was held in the Capital city of
(a) Canada (b) Japan (c) Sweden (d) Zimbabwe
- The Ottawa Treaty, the Anti-Personnel Mine Ban Convention (officially known as the Convention on the Prohibition of the Use, Stockpiling, Production and Transfer of Anti-Personnel Mines and on their Destruction,) aims at eliminating anti-personnel landmines (AP-mines) around the world. To date, there are 162 States Parties to the treaty. One state has signed but not ratified (The Marshall Islands) while 34 UN states including the United States, Russia and China are non-signatories, making a total of 35 United Nations states not party
68. Which of the following pairs are correctly matched
1. Dow Jones New York
2. Hang Seng Seoul
3. FTSE- 100 London
Select the correct answer using the codes given below
(a) 1, 2 and 3 (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1 and 2 (d) 1 and 3
- Hang Seng : China
- Dow Jones Industrial Average also called Dow Jones: New York (Wall Street)
- The Financial Times Stock Exchange 100 Index, also called the FTSE 100 or, informally, the “Footsie” is a share index of the 100 companies listed on the London Stock Exchange
69. The Indian National Congress agreed in 1947 to the partition of the country mainly because
(a) the principle of two-Nation theory was then acceptable to them
(b) it was imposed by the British Government and the Congress was helpless in this regard
(c) they wanted to avoid large-scale communal riots
(d) India would have otherwise lost the opportunity to attain freedom
70. Haemophilia is a genetic disorder which leads to
(a) decrease in haemoglobin level (b) rheumatic heart disease
(c) decrease in WBC (d) non-clotting of blood
71. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer
A. 1556 1. Battle of Haldi Ghati
B. 1600 2. Nadir Shah’s capture of Delhi
C. 1686 3. Death of Shivaji
D. 1739 4. Grant of Charter to East India Company
5. Accession of Akbar
A B C D A B C D
(a) 3 4 2 1 (b) 5 4 3 2
(c) 5 2 1 4 (d) 1 5 3 2
72. A square pond has 2 m sides and is 1 m deep. If it is to be enlarged, the depth remaining the same, into a circular pond with the diagonal of the square its diameter, then what would be the volume of earth to be removed ?
(a) (2p – 4) m3 (b) (4p – 4) m3
(c) (4p – 2) m3 (d) (2p – 2) m3
Volume removed = Volume of Cylindrical shape of tank – Volume of Cuboid = (pi*2*1) – (2*2*1)
73. Match river labelled A, B, C and D on the given map with their names given in the list and select the correct answer
1. St. Lawrence
5. Yukon A B C D
(b) 5 3 1 2
(c) 5 4 1 3
(d) 3 1 4 2
74. Consider the following statements about acetylene
1. It is used in welding industry.
2. It is a raw material for preparing plastics.
3. It is easily obtained by mixing silicon carbide and water.
Of these statements
(a) 1 and 2 are correct (b) 1 and 3 are correct
(c) 2 and 3 are correct (d) 1, 2 and 3 are correct
- Acetylene (ethyne) is the chemical compound with the formula C2H2. It is a hydrocarbon and the simplest alkyne.This colourless gas is widely used as a fuel and a chemical building block. It is unstable in pure form and thus is usually handled as a solution.
- Approximately 20 percent of acetylene is supplied by the industrial gases industry for oxyacetylene gas welding and cutting due to the high temperature of the flame
- One new application is the conversion of acetylene to ethylene for use in making a variety of polyethylene plastics.
75. At the time of India’s Independence, Mahatma Gandhi was
(a) a member of Congress Working Committee (b) not a member of the Congress
(c) the President of the Congress (d) the General Secretary of the Congress