UPPSC Prelims General Studies Paper – 2011 (Part 2)
76. If the number 1 X 5 X 01 is divisible by 11, then X is equal to
77. Avinash spent 2/5 of his income for a month on rent and 3/4th of the remainder on other expenses. The balance of Rs.180 he put in his savings account. How much was his income for the month?
(a) Rs. 1,200
(b) Rs. 1,400
(c) Rs. 1,600
(d) Rs. 1,800
78. The author of ‘Green Development’ is
(a) M.J. Bradshaw
(b) M. Nicolson
(c) R.H. Whittakar
(d) W.M. Adams
79. The missing number in the following series:
0, 4, 18, 48, ? 180 is
80. Man as started a business investing Rs. 42,000. After 7 months, Kamal joined him with a capital of Rs. 50,000. At the end of the year, the total profit was Rs. 30,160. What is Kamal’s share in the profit?
(a) Rs. 10,000
(b) Rs. 20,160
(c) Rs. 10,160
(d) Rs. 8,000
81. The surface area of a cube is 384 m2 Its volume will be
82. The World Water Conservation Day is observed on
(a) 28 February
(b) 22 March
(c) 5 June
(d) 11 July
83. The Periyar Game Sanctuary is renowned by
(b) Spotted deers
(d) Wild Elephants
84. Which one of the following cities has the largest slum population?
85. Which one of the following is the most urbanized country of West Asia?
(d) Saudi Arabia
86. Which of the following countries suffer from the acid rains?
Select the correct answer from the code given below:
(a) 1 and 2
(b) 1 and 3
(c) 2 and 3
(d) 3 and 4
87. The World Tiger Summit 2010 was held at
(c) New Delhi
88. The author of ‘Nuclear, Reactor Time Bomb’ is
(a) C.C. Park
(b) E. P. Odum
(c) S. Polasky
(d) Takashi Hirose
89. Which one of the following States India has recorded the maximum increase in literacy rate during 2001-2011?
(d) Uttar Pradesh
90. As per the provisional figures of 2011 Census the second most populous State of India is
(a) Andhra Pradesh
(d) West Bengal
91. Which of the following statements are correct according to the provisional figures of Census of India 2011? Use the code given below to select the correct answer:
1. The lowest population is found in Lakshadweep.
2. Chandigarh has the highest population density.
3. Arunachal Pradesh has the lowest population density.
4. Dadra and Nagar Haveli has the highest decadal growth of population.
(a) 1 and 2
(b) 1,2 and 3
(c) 2,3 and 4
(d) 1,3 and 4
92. According to the provisional figures of Census 2011 arrange the following districts of Uttar Pradesh In descending order of their population size and select the correct answer from the code given below:
93. According to the provisional figures of 2011 Census the lowest sex ratio in India is found in
(b) Daman and Diu
(c) Dadra and Nagar Haveli
94. The first Gupta ruler who issued coins was
(b) Chandragupta I
(d) Chandragupta II
95. The Prince who was responsible for the death of his father was
96. Who among the following was the earliest Sufi Saint to have settled at Ajmer?
(a) Sheikh Moinuddin Chisti
(b) Sheikh Qutbuddin Bakhtiyar Qaki
(c) Sheikh Nizamuddin Auliya
(d) Sheikh Salim Chisti
97. With which Mughal General did Shivaji sign the famous ‘Treaty of Purandhar in 1665 A.D?
(a) Jaswant Singh
(b) Jai Singh
(c) Shaishta Khan
(d) Diler Khan
98. During the 13th and 14th Centuries A.D. the Indian peasants did not cultivate
99. The writer of Mahabhasya ‘Patanjali ‘ was a contemporary of
(a) Chandragupta Maurya
(c) Pushyamitra Sunga
(d) Chandragupta I
100. Gautama Buddha had attained Mahaparinibban in the State of
101. Buddha had delivered Maximum sermons at
102. Consider the following statement and select the correct answer from the code given below:
1. Vikrarn Samvat began in 58 BC.
2. Saka Samvat began in 319 AD.
3. Gupta era began in 319 AD.
4. The era of Muslim rule in India began in 1192 AD.
(a) 1 and 2
(b) 3 and 4
(c) 1, 2 and 3
(d) 1,2, 3 and 4
103. Which one of the following rulers established embassies in foreign countries on modern lines?
(a) Haider Ali
(b) Mir Qasim
(c) Shah Alam II
(d) Tipu Sultan
104. Who among the following was the one to have escaped being hanged in the ‘Kakori Conspiracy Case’?
(a) Ashfaqullah Khan
(b) Rajendra Lahiri
(c) Ram Prasad Bismil
(d) Chandra Shekhar Azad
105. Who among the following attended all the three Round Table Conferences?
(a) Jawaharlal Nehru
(b) B.R. Ambedkar
(c) Vallabh Bhai Patel
(d) Rajendra Prasad
106. Which Sultan of Delhi imposed Jaziya on the Brahmins also?
(b) Firoz Tughlaq
(c) Allauddin Khilji
(d) Mohammad bin Tughlaq
107. Who among the following was the founder of Agra?
(b) Bahlol Lodhi
(c) Sikandar Lodhi
(d) Firoz Tughlaq
108. Which one of the following pairs is not correctly matched?
(b) Jaunpur – Atala Mosque
(c) Malwa – Jahaz Mahal
(d) Gulbarga – Jama Masjid
109. Who among the following leaders of the Revolution of 1857 had the real name of Ram Chandra Pandurang ?
(a) Kunwar Singh
(b) Nana Saheb
(c) Tatiya Tope
(d) Mangal Pandey
110. Who among the following led the agitation against the Partition of Bengal (1905) ?
(a) Surendranath Banerjee
(b) C. R. Das
(c) Ashutosh Mukherjee
(d) Rabindra Nath Tagore
111. Who among the following leaders escaped from the prison and organized underground activities during the ‘Quit India Movement’ ?
(a) J.B. Kriplani
(b) Ram Manohar Lohia
(c) Achyut Patwardhan
(d) Jai Prakash Narayan
112. Arrange the following In the chronological order and select the correct answer from the code given below:
1. The August Offer
2. The Cabinet Mission Plan
3. The Cripps Mission Plan
4. The Wavell Plan
(a) 1, 2, 4, 3
(b) 4, 3, 2, 1
(c) 1, 3, 4, 2
(d) 3, 4, 1, 2
113. After returning from South Africa, Gandhiji launched his first successful Satyagraha in
(b) Chauri Chaura
114. The only session of the Indian National Congress addressed by Mahatma held at
115. Who among the following had moved the Non co-operation resolution in the Nagpur session of the Indian National Congress in 1920 ?
(a) C.R. Das
(b) Annie Besant
(c) B.C. Pal
(d) Madan Mohan Malviya
116. Which one of the following pairs is correctly matched ?
(a) Durga Das : The Life of Mahatma Gandhi
(b) Louis Fischer: India From Curzon to Nehru and After
(c) Frank Moraes: Jawahar Lal Nehru – A Biography
(d) Maulana Abul Kalam Azad : India Divided
117. Which one of the following pairs is NOT correctly matched ?
(a) James Watt: Steam Engine
(b) A. G. Bell : Telephone
(c) J. L. Baird : Television
(d) J. Perkins : Penicillin
118. Who among the following had started ‘Mitra Mela’ Association ?
(a) Shyamji Krishna Verma
(b) Vinayak Damodar Savarkar
(c) Lala Hardayal
(d) Sohan Singh Bhakna
119. The statement “I am a socialist and a republican and am no believer Kings and Princes” is associated with
(a) Narendra Dev
(b) Achyut Patwardhan
(c) Jai Prakash Narayan
(d) Jawahar Lal Nehru
120. Who among the following had led the Swadeshi Movement in Delhi.
(a) Balgangadhar Tilak
(b) Ajit Singh
(c) Lala Lajpat Rai
(d) Syed Haider Raza
121. Which one of the following pairs is correctly matched ?
(a) Silver iodide – Horn Silver
(b) Silver chloride – Artificial rain
(c) Zinc phosphide – Rat poison
(d) Zinc sulphide – Philosopher’s wool
122. Which one of the following gases is essential for photosynthesis process ?
123. Match List – I with List – II and select the correct answer from the code given below:
List – I List – II
A. Morphine 1. Antiseptic
B. Sodium 2. Alloy
C. Boric Acid 3. Analgesic
D. German Silver 4. Kerosene oil
A B C D
(a) 4 3 1 2
(b) 2 4 3 1
(c) 3 1 4 2
(d) 3 4 1 2
124. Which one of the following human organs is most susceptible to harmful radiations ?
125. The minimum height of a plane mirror to see the full size image of a person is equal to
(a) the height of the person
(b) half the height of the person
(c) one-fourth the height of the person
(d) double the height of the person
126. Helium is preferred to hydrogen in air balloons because it
(a) is cheaper
(b) is less dense
(c) has greater lifting power
(d) does not form an explosive mixture with air.
127. Which one of the following is NOT formed in our body ?
(a) Vitamin A
128. Anosmia is
(a) loss of the sense of taste.
(b) loss of the sense of smell.
(c) loss of the sense of touch.
(d) loss of the sense of heat.
129. Assertion (A) : If somebody stops taking green vegetables he will suffer from night blindness.
Reason (R) : He will suffer from Vitamin A deficiency.
Select the correct answer from the code given below:
(a) Both (A) and (R) are true and (R) is the correct explanation of (A).
(b) Both (A) and (R) are true. but (R) is NOT the correct explanation of (A).
(c) (A) is true, but (R) is false.
(d) (A) is false, but (R) is true.
130. Insectivorous fish used for mosquito control is
131. With which of the physiological process Thrombin is associated ?
(b) Blood clotting
132. AIDS is caused by
133. Which of the following is NOT the normal function of the human kidney ?
(a) Regulation of water level in the blood.
(b) Regulation of sugar level ill the blood.
(c) filter out urea.
(d) Secretion of several hormones.
134. Retina of the eye is comparable to which of the following parts of a traditional camera ?
135. Which one of the following is used as a moderator in the nuclear reactor?
(d) Ordinary water
136. Refrigeration helps in food preservation by
(a) killing the germs
(b) reducing the rate of biochemical reactions
(c) destroying enzyme action.
(d) sealing the food with a layer of ice.
137. Electric bulb filament is made of
138. Which mirror is used as a rear view mirror in the vehicles?
139. Which one of the following is a part of Infotech Terminology?
(d) All the above
140. Inventor and founder of www is
(b) N. Russel
(c) Lee N. Fiyong
(d) Bill Gates
141. Amniocentosis is a method used to determine the
(a) foetal sex
(b) kind of Amino acids
(c) sequence of Amino acids in protein
(d) type of hormones
142. BMD testing is done to diagnose
143. The principle ‘of ‘Black hole’ was enunciated by
(a) C.V. Raman
(b) H.J. Bhabha
(c) S. Chandrashekhar
(d) H. Khurana
144. Which one of the following has the right to address the Parliament?
(a) Attorney General of India
(b) Chief Election Commissioner of India
(c) Chief Justice of India
(d) National Security Advisor
145. Which one of the following statements about the Parliament of India is NOT correct?
(a) The Constitution provides for a Parliamentary form of Government.
(b) The foremost function of the Parliament is to provide a Cabinet.
(c) The membership of the Cabinet is restricted to the Lower House.
(d) The Cabinet has to enjoy the confidence of the majority in the popular Chamber.
146. Voting right by the youths at the age of 18 years was exercised for the first time in the General Election of
147. Under which one of the following Articles of the Indian Constitution, the Legislative Assembly is allowed to resolve for the creation of the Legislative Council?
148. Missile’ Astra’ is a
(a) land to land missile
(b) land to air missile
(c) air to air missile
(d) water to land missile
149. Indane gas is a mixture of
(a) butane and hydrogen
(b) butane and oxygen
(c) butane and propane
(d) methane and oxygen
150. Which one of the following States has granted Sanskrit language the status of the second ‘official language of the State?
(c) Uttar Pradesh