GS Mains History 1990
1. Trace the origin of the Swaraj Party. What was the manifesto or the Swaraj Party? What were the Swarajists demands and the reactions of the British (35)?
What was the attitude of the Indian National Congress towards the Second World War? What was the August Offer? What were the factors that led the British to change its negative policy and send Cripps to India (About 250 words)?
2. Answer any two of the following: (About 150 words each) (15 × 2 = 30)
a. What was Mahatama Gandhi’s concepts of Socialism? How did it differ from Mandan socialism.
b. What were the main feature of the Act of 1935? What was Jawaharlal Nehru’s reaction to the Act? Why did he contest the elections of 1937 and with effect?
c. Trace the progress of the women’s education from the early days of the British rule to the year 1947.
3. Answer any three of the following: (About 50 words each) (10 × 3 = 30)
a. How did Lala Lajpat Rai and Bal Gangadhar Tilak champion the cause of militant nationalism in India?
b. ‘If Aurobindo was the high priest, Rabindranath, was the great poet of the Swadesh Movement.’ Elucidate.
c. Give a critical account of the Ramakrishna Mission with special reference to the role played by Swami Vivekananda.
d. When and why did the revolt of the ratings of the Royal Indian Navy take place? Why did they suspend the movement? What were the attitudes of Gandhi and Patel towards the movement?
4. Write about the chief characteristics of the following: (About 20 words on each) (2 × 15 = 30)
Kangra School of Painting
5. What do you know about the following movements?
The Young Bengal Movement
6. Why have the following become famous?
S H Slocum
P Ananda Charu
K M Munshi